The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kindle 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate how completely open the chromecast is. I've Rick rolled my cousin several times.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roku seems to have done really well for themselves, so I wouldn't count them out yet. The problem I think they have against the other three is that they don't distribute the content.

Apple, Google, Amazon can all sell the box at a loss if they wanted to just to convince you to buy their content. If, for example, Apple decides they want to take the Apple TV very seriously, then I think they have the power/bank account to destroy Roku.

@Buddy - Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

"Fibbage" is basically the same you don't know Jack type game, but each person puts in a bullshit answer on their cell phone, and then you have to pick the "truth" on the TV. It's pretty brilliantly done and works really well. It's my current favorite Fire TV game.

I've recently returned to Sev 0 though, and it's not too bad.

I've played so much riptide that I'm sort of over it, but it's not a bad split screen racing game. It's also free today, so I'd jump on it if you're considering a Fire TV:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEL0LGY/ref=s9_aas_bw_g405_i9?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=07X02DN56XZQ0FJM0JN6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1770163282&pf_rd_i=7031433011
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stand alone Android game console didn't make sense to me. A set top box that also plays games does make sense. I'm already a Prime member, my music is purchased and backed up through Amazon, and I have a Kindle and the app on every device I own, so I'm obviously a fan of the ecosystem. Being able to play games is cool, but I'm not sure how often I would actually do that.

The only thing really holding me back is the fact that I have a Roku, Xbox One, Wii U, iPod Touch, HTC One, and Nexus 7. I have so many ways to consume media that I'm having trouble justifying something new. I'm not a huge fan of the Roku UI and I know my cousin would gladly take it off my hands, so I might do that. From what I have seen, the Fire TV UI is much better.

Any news when or if the HBO Go app will be released? I was a bit surprised to hear that it wasn't available, especially since Game of Thrones will be starting again tomorrow. I was going to ask about Spotify, but I saw a headline about Amazon and contracts with record labels meaning a potential Prime music service.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit

Last edited by Buddy Lee on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gary Busey commercial is fucking creepy.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty sure I will be canceling my prime when it expires due to the price increase.

Lotan: Are there plans to offer Prime members free Fire TV games similar to XBOX Live Gold and Playstation Plus? (1 per Month).
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
Lotan: Are there plans to offer Prime members free Fire TV games similar to XBOX Live Gold and Playstation Plus? (1 per Month).

Don't think I can comment on that one. They're always trying to make Prime better, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Buddy Lee wrote:
Any news when or if the HBO Go app will be released? I was a bit surprised to hear that it wasn't available, especially since Game of Thrones will be starting again tomorrow.

I'm probably not allowed to comment on this one either. I will say that Amazon isn't dumb. The video guys know that that one is important. I'm pretty sure they're trying to figure out a way to get it done. Pretty much all of the reviews bring this one up.

You should be aware that Amazon Music isn't actually on the device right now. That's a coming soon update. Its on my dev build, so I know it's not just vapor ware though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention that the Amazon Video interface is good. The Hulu one is pretty good, but the Netflix one isn't super amazing yet. Hulu/Amazon are the only two integrated in to the voice search so far.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
I pretty sure I will be canceling my prime when it expires due to the price increase.

Yeah, that extra $1.67/month is going to break the bank. I can't figure out why people are pushing back so hard against a small price increase. You get an awful lot for just over $8/month after the price hike.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy Lee wrote:
Exzavier wrote:

Yeah, that extra $1.67/month is going to break the bank. I can't figure out why people are pushing back so hard against a small price increase. You get an awful lot for just over $8/month after the price hike.

It is because I do not use the streaming. I had gotten it originally because a Christmas gift was going to cost $40 to ship two day delivery.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense if you don't use it. Wouldn't make sense to keep it even if they were keeping the same price.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of sites are posting about a 3D Amazon cell phone. This rumor was posted last year but seems to be back over the weekend.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/04/14/amazons-new-3d-smartphone-could-disrupt-these-busi.aspx
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaked Image:

http://bgr.com/2014/04/15/amazon-smartphone-photos-specs-kindle-phone-exclusive/
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On Thursday, after much speculation, the online retailer is launching a streaming service called Prime Music, at no additional cost for Prime members who pay $99 a year. Those members will automatically gain access to more than one million songs, including what Amazon says are tens of thousands of albums from top acts like Justin Timberlake, Pink, Bruno Mars, Blake Shelton, The Lumineers, Bruce Springsteen, and Madonna."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/06/12/amazon-prime-adds-prime-music/10359025/

And the smartphone announcement is next Wednesday.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you so sure it's a smart phone? Very Happy
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumor I thought was cool is that if you tilt to the left you will see a different screen and if you tilt to the right you will see a different screen.

It would be cool to run 3 apps at the same time and access each by viewing the two extra ones at a 20 or 30 degree angle.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not a smartphone then news outlets have the info way wrong.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/06/17/amazon-smartphone-att/10656117/

mazon has yet to reveal its long-rumored smartphone, but the device may already have an exclusive carrier. According to the Wall Street Journal, which cites "people familiar with the plans," AT&T will exclusively carry Amazon's smartphone
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera seems really good and I like the built in speakers but for $199 with a two-year contract; I am not sure people are going to be switching to the phone especially people with iPhones.

I think it would have been awesome to be free with a two-year contract if you sign up for two years of Amazon Prime. People are paying for Prime anyways so that could get them to switch.

The 3D part seemed not impressive but ill have to go look at the phone at an ATT store.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me. It was a smart phone.

I think probably our best feature is one that most nerds won't care about. The mayday button could make this a killer for the 60+ crowd. Otherwise, you know... standard arguments against Amazon products(ZOMG, NO PLAY STORE?!?)
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think the 60+ crowd will like the phone; can you change the icon and font size on the phone? You should make a "senior citizen" launcher that is simplified.

The Fire TV has been rooted via the new universal root tool (towel root).
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been rooted for a very long time Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: