The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dungeons and Dragons Online
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Dungeons and Dragons Online Reply with quote

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ddonline/preview_6121266.html?tag=nl.e579

I like the sound of this one alot. I am a little nervous about the Group Orientated thing. If they dont take it too far, i.e. EQ2, it should be fine.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Gamespy editorial I read about D&DO.

But from what I remember, the servers sizes are going to be loads smaller than game servers we are used to.  The goal of which was to create/force long term groups.  Kind of like the adventure stories you read about.

The setting of Eberron is weird and I DEFINATELY wouldn't have chosen that setting for a game.  From what I remember reading, there was a huge war that decimated the planet.  One or more moons is destroyed and is showering the surface with meteors on a regular basis.  One cool thing they have in it (and a reason I don't think this setting should be chosen for the game) is there are Mecha.  Steam- or Magic-driven battlemechs... weird.

If I were to have made D&D Online, I would have gone with either the Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms settings just for fan-base reasons.  Forgotten Realms offers more for epic level adventures I think, but I'm not real familiar with Greyhawk so I would be wrong.  I wouldn't have chosen the Dragonlance setting because of the huge changes that it is undergoing right now in the story lines.  Even Ravenloft would have been a better setting, in my opinion, than Eberron... even with it's horror-specific tendencies.

Unless I see some really impressive things happen in this game... I'm passing.  I have had too many good times playing 3rd Ed with you guys that I don't want to ruin yet another pleasant memory.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

I haven't read the articles, but I just know they are going to screw it up...

btw, nice avatar, Spyder!  One of the few anime flicks I like!
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be hard pressed to pass on this one.  i'm more of a dnd fanatic now then i used to be, which is saying something, and this just looks too cool!  of course, i've been curious about ebberon as well, which helps.  if anyone else is going to try it, let me know, as i generally get reviews from others that i know before trying these things.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I have recently been reading nothing but D&D and while I agree that Forgotten Realms would have Rocked! I am interested to see the outcome of this one.
BTW Mongolio Thanks! it was the anime that took my cherry in a manner of speaking.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks nice, but I have got to play Devil's Advocate here and ask the question that begs to be asked:  do we really need another MMORPG?  How will this one draw players away from EQ, EQ2, and WoW, to say nothing of the non-tradidtional fantasy games like FFXI and SWG.  I still play SWG , but only because of the people I play with.  Do you think I'll be willing to give that up for D&D?  I am thinking perhaps no.

Anyhoo, there's my $.02.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real worry that i have about this game is the same as any other mmorpg, but carries a heavier sting with d&d.  to whit, that you aren't the center of the story.  it can be overcome in other settings, but d&d has always been the refuge for central story interaction.  i'm just worried that the mmorpg won't make you feel central to the story.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent point.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No MMORPG will allow that kind of feeling.  If you have been tasked with saving Princess Chuckleknuckles, rest assured everyone else has done so or will be soon.

The smaller server size of this game is going to make it a bit better in that aspect, but it still boils down to something Mr. Incredible said during an interview, "I feel like the maid here.  I just cleaned this mess up!  Can't you just stay saved?!?"

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackly.  I like being part of a group, sure, but in no MMORPG have I ever felt like The Hero.

Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because you haven't played Final Fantasy Online. It gives you that feeling. After about 100,000 hours of mindless grinding and farming.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After about 100,000 hours of mindless grinding and farming.

Oh, I see.  I stand corrected.

Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcole's farming skill went up .001

Woohoo! lvl 1.002!  only took me over a year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I love about you guys is that you make fun of FFXI for me.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<points up>

What he said.

midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate how commercial and watered down Forgotten Realms is, I love the way the gods interact with the races of Faerun, but it is soooooo milk toast it makes me sick, my first choice and frankly the only choice for a D%D MMO would be Planescape, the choice is so obvious it actually hurts.  Yob and I talked about this several months ago for hours, I understand it is no longer being produced but they could have brought it back as the MMO exclusive world.  I will also say I think Eb is a pretty decent campaign setting for a preconstructed world and the Warforged (mecha)  are frickin awesome.  I look forward to this very much and if anything will rip me from ffxi it might be this, but we will have to see how it develops and what other ppl decide to play it.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

word
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Planescape...that world is so miffed up that it makes my brain hurt...

I would say Dragonlance...but that's cause its the one world that Wizard doesn't own...
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I would not be too interested if they went Dragonlance. Right now that world is fucked up big time. All though I would really love to play a kender! It would be cool if you randonomly generated stuff in your inventory and the people who lost them kept coming to reclaim them. "Well you must have dropped that, sir! Good thing I was here to pick it up for you. Man your face is so red you look like you are going to explode! Did I ever tell you about the time my aunt Lightfoot blew up? She was at a mages shop and took a drink of her canteen except it wasn't her canteen. The Mage who owned the shop must have miscast a spell and it was a Fireball in a Bottle potion. I once had a Fireball in a Bottle potion. Well anyway as I was saying BOOM! The mage was cleaning up little pieces of Aunt Lightfoot for weeks. It seemed that when she was in pieces she was able to hide in smaller areas. I would like to be blown up once, I suppose it would be real fun. Whats that? You dropped it again? Hmmm yess here it is? How strange? You must learn to be more careful ya know."
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they did planescape they could do the planes as expantions and just have the outlands/spire/sigil as the main release
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: