The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dungeons and Dragons Online
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm *sure* they need the"AFK auto-disconnect" system tested...

I do hope you get to play with us, dude
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm signing up once i'm a forum member.  right now i'm waiting for the forum email.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all signed up and waiting for the email to tell me i'm in...
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm *sure* they need the"AFK auto-disconnect" system tested... "

Just awesome!

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm *sure* they need the"AFK auto-disconnect" system tested...

I am SO not touching that one.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Glistam would say something back but he is AFK currently.
Demin
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i signed up too... i know ass-nothing about D&D.
ah well maybe ill get lucky like i did for the other games i beta tested.

Demin
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a deserved reputation. I have no-one to blame but my wife.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Glistam would say something back but he is AFK currently.

See, that's exactly what I meant by "not touching it".  I think I strained my restraint gland there.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some new gameplay movies out, due to E3... Check It
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually like to see them put different worlds on different servers - if you want to play DragonLance, fine.  Ravenloft?  fine.  Dark Sun?  you got it...

Of course, it would cost $50/month ; )

I'd also like to see them create multiple versions of the game.  Like many games have servers with and without pvp, we could have servers with set stories, quests, etc. and other servers where the entire world and any plot would be player created.

This would require a great deal of thought, and ultimately I think it would lack plot, but it could be done.  Some players could play villains, and these villain characters could be given some degree of influence/control over weak minions.  This would create an environment where the monsters were there for a reason (other than to be camped by pc's)

They would need to monitor it and "inject balance" from time to time.  If a pc villain - the Ogre King - is getting out of control, and nobody can go anywhere without getting their ass handed to them by ogres, then it's time for the DM to insert some balance.  Maybe an npc wizard "discovers" how to make a slingshot of ogre-ass whippin and these items become merely uncommon rather than rare, allowing a group of heros to eventually take root and overthrow the ogre king.

Also, because the world is pc based, and pcs will set up camp and grow in levels, etc.,  the "newbie" area would have to continuously shift to undeveloped areas where the opposing pcs were not so powerful.  Call it urban sprawl if you want.

I'm probably about to hear why this idea sucks ; )

Mishlai

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea doesn't suck... but it does rest firmly i the 'if wishes were fishes' catagory. I'd love to see something like this, but I think it's a few years away.

Of course, the way the online roleplaying games are trying to out-do each other... who knows?
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More thoughts:

The villains would have their minions, which would kick ass.  They would not be able to play cooperative, however.  Their minions would not function well with other villain minions, would attack each other randomly & start brawls, attack other villains, this kind of thing.  Thus villains could not be cooperative on the level that heros could.

Perhaps if there would a substantial level difference, a villain could swear fealty to an arch-villain and work for him, adding a level of complexity to the game, but if the villain grows near the level of power of the arch-villain, problems will be forced between them.

Heros will have no minions, but will party together in the ways that everyone is accustomed to.  

These distinctions would almost drive the right types of people to the right roles - if playing with your friends is important, you're probably going to go hero.

Also, players would need to be warned and understand that its about the story.  That no villain's reign will last -you will be toppled, the game is set up that way, and it is the toppling that makes it worth playing.  Also, no reign of peace and prosperity will last either, prevailing heros will be toppled or scattered by anti-heroes.  So enjoy the story and don't get to wrapped up in the success of the character, it's only temporary.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like a kick ass concept, though i would have to add one thing to the villan side.  low level villians should be minions of other villans.  like at best a street punk lieutenant.  that could make the newb area more static, as the low level heros and the low level villians could face off against each other in a given area, and then the heros could move on once they had 'cleaned up' the area, and the villians could get promoted in their evil henchman rank.

also, as described thus far, you would need far more heros than villians, as villians could control npc minions.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the minions would be gimp compared to the villain himself.  I'm imagining some odd blend of strategy & rpg now.  Maybe the villain would have 2 modes of play - one where he was working with minions in a rts type mode - not quite - and another where he could play himself and run around, or possibly even play a minion during combat.  It would probably be better if you could work the rts bit out of it, but I'm not sure how he would lay any substantial evil plans otherwise.

and what would a villain be without evil plans?  Okay, I guess he'd be worth camping but that's about it...

Fucking act like it.

Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some interesting rts/fps mixes out there.  the key is that the rts guy just gets to set waypoints, and the fps people get to follow them if they like, but don't have to.  perhaps if we mixed this idea with guild wars' minions(err, npc followers), it would work well.  that way, there could be a 'big' villian who could play an rts style interface, with minions that were fps players and bots mixed.  to get an idea of what i'm talking about, go find savage, and look into how it is played.  it didn't last too long, but its the sort of idea that i'm talking about.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDO just sent out their first wave of alpha invites and should be sending out more at a pretty decent pace over the next few weeks.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best friends just got his alpha invite.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like they just sent out another wave of invites Dancing

Ana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another. i've finally got something to keep me busy for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: