The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Batman: Arkham Asylum Reply with quote

Anyone interested in this one? I just downloaded the demo for the 360, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by a few things.

Biggest surprise is that they got the people from the Animated series to do the voices, so they sound pretty good. Mark Hamill is the Joker and Kevin Conroy is Batman.

First they have you fight unarmed bad guys, and that seems okay. It seemed little more than X button for punch and Y button for counter, but it was fun, and Batman has a ton of ass kicking moves to keep it pretty. Maybe there's more to it in the real game, I'm not sure.

After that you go in to a room and disarm a bunch of armed goons, and here it turns in to more of a sneaking type game. You grapple from platform to platform and drop in on unsuspecting foes.

The demo was solid enough for me to buy it when it comes out. We'll see if the whole game stays interesting, or fizzles out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the demo this morning. I'm pleased enough to get the game when it comes out.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading the demo now
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this (short) demo is goooooooooooooooooooooood. And the cartoon-series voices are like the welcome embrace of your favorite shirt.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. With it being a comic book game I'm skeptical that the demo is all the good shit and not just the tip of the iceberg. But the optimist in me is pretty excited.

Quote:
The cartoon-series voices are like the welcome embrace of your favorite shirt.

Yeah. I was a big fan of the animated series. Their voices really do make the whole thing work a little better.

I might have to run through the demo one more time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm maybe an hour in to it. The voice acting I think adds a lot more to it than I originally thought. For example, the intro is Batman walking the joker through the corridors while the credits roll by. It's 5-7 minutes of the Joker just spouting off crazy crap as they haul him away.

As you're sneaking through hallways and air ducts, he's constantly talking to you, taunting you, and yelling at people to find you. So far it's all been amazing.

I hope Mark Hamill got a solid pay day for this, because so far he's making the game.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is fucking epic.

Scarecrow is a jerk.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this at EB the other day and was surprised at how cheap it was being a new release. Thinking about picking it up.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could power through it on a rental, but you won't be even close to sad if you buy it. Plenty of goodness.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, if you're the kind of person who likes to go through, find all the secrets and collect all the hidden items, then it's worth the buy.

There are (I think) 240 "Riddles" hidden by the Riddler throughout the game. Some are simple "Find a hidden object" while others are Riddles that you have to "Solve". For example, when you go in to one room he says something like, "What does a bird need when it rains?" When you search the room, there's a display dedicated to the penguin, and you "Investigate" his umbrella.

If you're the kind of person who just wants to hit the end, it'd probably be best just to rent.

I also should note that for each main bad guy in the game, they have "Interview Tapes" where you can listen to recordings of a psychiatrist talking to them. Those are pretty fantastic. If you're a batman nerd at all, this game is pure win. If you're not, then it's still a really good game.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend got this a couple days ago, been watching her play it, it's very cool.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My girlfriend got this a couple days ago, been watching her play it, it's very cool.

Marry her.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's getting the new one? The reviews are resoundingly positive. First game I've been excited about all year.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one was one of the best games I've played in years. I'll definitely be getting it.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want it, but I'm probably going to save my money for Assassin's Creed first. Why the hell do they have to come out so close to each other? Sad
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much have to get it new too since they're up to the "online pass" shenanigans as well. This time it means all the Catwoman content, which is apparently fairly substantial.

Gamestop is apparently giving codes for this content with used purchase, which will save you a whopping $5.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't plan to get it until i saw a few reviews. The first one was great, but i usually don't do a lot of sequels. I am not lacking things to do now though.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour in and I'm remembering why I loved the first one so much. Such a good take on Batman.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New one has been "Hey, this is cool, but not quite as cool as the last two" and then it erased my saved game on my 360. So, I think I'll put it back on the shelf for a few days and try again later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: