The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you think Pitbulls or other pets are dangerous?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Do you think Pitbulls or other pets are dangerous? Reply with quote

I'll post this here, just because it really is sillyness and bullshit.

So...who here thinks that Pitbulls are dangerous (because Pitbulls are ALWAYS the center of attention)? Any other breed you have preconceptions about being dangerous?

Who believes the stories?

And for that matter, who believes the stories about any other animal?

Just curious here...

My mother was TERRIFIED to meet Isis (mind you....I grew up with a husky/WOLF/Sheppard mix, and two purebred red huskies)....yes...we had a dog who had WOLF in her, and she was afraid to meet Isis because she was a Pitbull. Of course she was glad to see Isis just wanted to sit on her and cover her with slobber, yet she still believes the stories.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, they are not just stories. It is true that the breed is genetically predisposed to aggression. Yes, training is the key to any dog's behavior, but there are numerous cases where some unknown stimuli have set them off. This is true of many breeds, even docile ones, but in this case the danger comes from their abilities. They are custom designed to be as damaging and debilitating as possible. So when they do attack, survival is slim. Plus, they are most popular with the criminal element that wants them to protect caches of weapons and drugs, and for dogfighting. So then, while I'm not for making them illegal across the board, I am for making people get a permit to own them, just like a gun. And I say this without all the unwarranted paranoia surrounding the breed.

A few days ago, about fifteen minutes from my house, a 20 year old guy was mauled to death by his brother's pits. His brother was apparently training them to be violent, but got kicked out of his house, leaving the dogs in his younger brother's care. They attacked their family dog, and he supposedly tried to stop it and they killed him, and then the dog. This kind of thing happens too frequently to dismiss the idea that pits are actually dangerous, and this is why I think people should require permits: they must demonstrate they will be responsible owners and give proper training. It won't stop every case, but it will both limit these situations and provide extra legal power to prosecute offenders.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
It is true that the breed is genetically predisposed to aggression.

Not towards humans, towards other animals, which is true for ALL Terriers. No breed is predisposed to human aggression.

Crush, please do some research, we all know how good you are at it.
APBT's have a higher passing rate in temperment tests then the average dog population.

And I should have said "myths" instead of "stories. I was referring to how people (including my own mother) think Pitbulls have locking jaws, or their brains swell, etc.

Mind you I didn't want this thread to be ONLY about pitbulls, they're just the animal most sheeple associate with danger.

What other animals you ask?
Growing up, my friends mother refused to own a cat because she believed that all cats try to suffocate their owners while they sleep.

A guy I know thinks ALL constrictors (snakes) WILL try to wrap around your neck and choke you.

And my all time favorite...My best friends FATHER was terrified of the family cockatiel. He was certain that it would peck his eyes out. I think he watched The Birds one too many times.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.

Last edited by Resheph on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A running issue lots of shelters have is called "Black Dog Syndrome", meaning it's hard for them to adopt out black dogs, because people think they're scary.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! that's the kind of thing I want in here!

My neighbors (two ladies) work for one of the shelters, and have told me that a good portion of young kids want to adopt black kittens, but a lot of parents refuse because of the whole "black cats are evil and unlucky" dealio.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not towards humans, towards other animals

No, aggression is aggression. It does not matter where the offense is coming from, if something sets them off, they go after it and anything else in their way. I've seen this with my own eyes, and posted an actual event which happened just days ago that is a perfect example of this behavior. Not to mention that humans are animals.

I have not found any data that supports the temperament testing you mentioned that is not provided by pro-pit bull sources, so I can't comment on that. In fact, all of the data supporting the "real" story on them is from those types of sites. If I find some objective data, I'll update.

Death and grievous injury by dog attacks are extremely small, but of that incredibly small number, Pits own over half the number. That's objective data from the CDC. The only real issue confounding the matter is there are several different breeds of pit bull, and the name itself is just a catch-all term for them, not an actual breed name. But in this case the generality isn't a conflict.

Oh, all my research was done back in the day when I ran an animal shelter for five years. It was required. And in updating that knowledge, almost nothing has changed.

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with your enthusiasm toward the species, and I like the breed and don't buy into all the hype, but the occurrences are numerous enough that a response is warranted. And that response is make sure the right people own them.

As for others, Rottweilers have an equally bad and undeserved reputation. Ferrets are still illegal in California for being disease carriers, even though modern science determined many years ago that they are not, in fact, disease carriers. It's illegal to buy and sell any turtle or tortoise in Virginia under four inches in size because of a risk of Salmonella, despite size having nothing to do with the transmission of the disease, as the pathogen occurs naturally on ALL turtles.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even going to bother discussing this further if you think there are multiple 'breeds' of pitbulls. I hope you didn't pass this 'knowledge' of yours onto whoever is now running that shelter. Rolling Eyes

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term Pit Bull is derived from MULTIPLE BREEDS, not just one. Your response convinces me you actually know nothing about them. So until you learn your facts, we really should postpone the discussion.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term Pit Bull is used to refer to a number of breeds, because people are morons. There is only one REAL Pit Bull and that is the APBT which is what I have been talking about, and is it's OWN BREED.
You wanna know why the statistics say Pit Bulls bite 89012749086352 people a year? Because morons like you call every bully breed, and anything that even resembles an APBT a fucking Pit Bull.

AmStaff's, StaffBulls, Presa Canario's, Cane Corso's, Bordeau's, Bulldogs, Boxers, Patterdales, Mastiffs etc etc etc all get called Pit Bulls by people like you. Everytime one of these breeds bites someone and is improperly identified, who do you think gets blamed?

APBT's are known for their extremely friendly temperament with people and being gentle with children. They were bred for game, and as such needed to be human friendly. Back in the day, a lot of dogs who showed aggression to humans were killed immediately because they didn't want those dogs passing on their genes.

Human aggression and animal aggression are two completely different things, plain and simple. Terriers like to scrap with other animals, this is true and it is known. It can also be avoided with proper socialization, but any responsible owner would never leave their dog unattended with other animals they do not know. Human aggression is NOT a trait of the breed.

Over breeding, in breeding, abuse, neglect, and improper handling are all things that can lead to troublesome dogs of ANY breed.

But then again, what the fuck do I know.

I have now learned two things from your infinite wisdom:
SLi is specifically for running multiple monitors
APBT is not a breed, and are the same as whatever breed you feel like calling a Pit Bull. Bulldog, Dogo, Corso? Who cares? They're all Pit Bulls!

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:

Last edited by Resheph on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: