The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warhammer 40k and Fantasy general discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Warhammer 40k and Fantasy general discussion Reply with quote

GW is re-releasing Space Hulk. FFG is re-releasing Chaos Marauders and Chaos in the Old World. Now all we need is Necromunda, Deathwatch, and Blood Bowl. What a great time to be a gamer.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Bowl never went away. At least that's the impression I get from opponents in the computer game.

And is Space Hulk a space marine/tyranids battle fought on a space ship? If it is, my brother had it but we were to damn young or stupid to figure out the correct way to play it.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that would be space hulk to bad the original was a little before my time I didnt get into GW stuff till about 1997
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was basically Blood Angels vs. Genestealers aboard a hulk, but variant rules allowed for other stuff like Chaos, and my favorite was the Deathwing mission set(Dark Angel Termies with an awesome backstory). Still, although the vanilla game was awesome, we always house ruled the heck out of it into a crossover RPG\skirmish game, using the standard tabletop rules. Actually, we always house ruled the hell out of 40k, did away with mob combat and such and counted every troop as individual pieces. Yes, battles took hours longer, but we loved it.

Neat, I had no idea BB was still around. I only really played it back in 92, a couple years before third edition came out, and then lost touch. Yeah, it seems it's still a big seller and is on 4th edition with annual modification.

I find it very strange that the GW store near my house sells their product cheaper than the indy shops. It used to be the other way around. Oh well, as it should be.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants SH, I'd order it now because it will be an extremely limited print.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole blip thing made it way over mine and my brother's heads when we had it. Too bad.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the pic until I get home, so I'll comment on that later. But I learned they are indeed releasing Deathwatch. Awesome.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Can't see the pic until I get home, so I'll comment on that later. But I learned they are indeed releasing Deathwatch. Awesome.

Is Deathwatch a game?

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That whole blip thing made it way over mine and my brother's heads when we had it. Too bad.

Do you mean back when you were kids?

Deathwatch is a new RPG from Fantasy Flight Games, using a cross-compatible ruleset for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader. As the name implies, it focuses on super powered RPG Xeno-smashing a la Deathwatch Space Marines. It is the Inquisition Space Marine Chapter that pulls its members from all other chapters, personally selected by each chapter master. Each member serves a specific term and goes back to their chapter if they survive, unless they request to remain. Dark Heresy is very low powered, PC's are barely better than regular citizens. Rogue Trader is high powered, starting you off basically equivalent to a full XP DH PC. Sometime in the near future Ascension will be coming out, raising Dark Heresy Acolytes to the level of Interrogators and Inquisitors themselves.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Deathwatch an official game yet, or did fans just make up the rules? I've been reading up on Rogue Trader, very cool concept. I guess that Dark Heresy is cool, but you start out way underpowered.

Is that German fan film based on Dark Heresy?

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't start underpowered, you start basic powered. But it's the GM's job to scale challenges, and you can bet that with the lethality of the setting, a high level power weapon wielding Space Marine will have the exact same chance of survival as a DH acolyte at first rank, given the challenges they face.

Deathwatch is, as I stated above, a new RPG in development at FFG. It is another game to go along with DH and RT, just one more step up the power ladder.

No, Damnatus started filming in '03, before Dark Heresy existed. DH came out in '05 originally, created by GW's Black Industries. FFG rereleased it in '08. In fact, DH, RT and Deathwatch were all originally BI babies, but GW shut down the subsidiary and sold the rights to all materials therein to FFG. So FFG is releasing all of their stuff, finishing their other stuff and making new stuff.

Besides, everything is fan made. Lucas is a fan of his own movies, so all his films are technically fan fiction. Huzzah!
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got my Rogue Trader Collector's Edition today. Exquisite craftsmanship, and the meat of the product is a masterpiece of RPG production values. And it's 400 pages. That may seem like a lot, but 90% is setting with the rest being rules and mechanics and gear, all of which is very straightforward and uncomplicated. Character creation is quite different and far more interesting than DH. Characters start at 5k xp, 4,500 of which is already rolled into creation, with the final 500 available to spend on more stuff. I LOVE how they tweaked Psykers, making them far more playable and less game breaking(for either the party or the enemies), all while keeping the original rules intact. As for compatibility, any DH acolyte with 5k or more xp can be directly included, no conversion. The starship warfare is particularly interesting. I can't wait to throw some of my friends into this meat grinder.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting hand-me-down books from my little brother so I started reading the Horus Heresy series. I'm only 100 pages in, but it's incredible. That Abnett guy is a genius.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Unfortunately, he only wrote two books in the series.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost through the second book. It was cool up until Horus is getting tempted to turn on the Emperor. I don't know how I would have written it differently, but it's a bit gay.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember who wrote the second one. That's the problem with multiple authors on a series, different visions and interpretations. I would have preferred the nix the whole lodge corruption thing and went with a completely different and totally covered up catalyst, so we could have a better story that had a reason not to disagree with the already horribly conflicted fluff.

Honestly, Abnett's work on the Heresy wasn't my favorite, though superior to a few of the others. You're really doing yourself a disservice by not reading the Gaunt's Ghosts novels first. Scratch that. Eisenhorn first, that is a moral imperative. Then Ravenor. Then the Ghosts.

Abnett is writing the screenplay for the Ultramarines movie, which should be in pre-production right about now.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abnett has has some nasty cancer, but it appears to be under control now. One of his HH books got pushed back nearly a year.

****Horus Heresy Spoilers******

So, I'm a good ways into the forth book, Flight Of The Eisenstein. The backtracking was killed me for the first hundred pages, but it's growing on me becuae the Death Guard are simple and neat. Still, they are just starting to get to the Isstvan III battle, nearly the same point in the previous book.

My brother is laboring through the book ahead of this one, Fulgrim. He's just losing interest, and I share the sentiment of how he just wants it following Horus and wonders when the heck they'll get to the Battle Of Terra.

Someone we play WAR with said the two Dark Angels books in the series are excellent. However, i think I'm going to skip a few and get the cliff notes.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible! I hope he goes into complete remission, seems like a pretty nice dude on his FB site.

I'm telling you, man - Gaunt's Ghosts. Best series he ever wrote.

I'm currently reading The Blackhearts Omnibus(Old World Warhammer) by Nathan Long, which so far is an excellent read.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A HH book made the NYT bestseller's list. First time ever for a Black Library book.

I'm thinking I may finish Fulgrim, skip over the fist one about the Dark Angels to read Legion (about Alpha Legion) and then read A Thousand Sons followed by the companion book by Abnett when it comes out, Prospero Burns. It all depends on if there's any Horus storyline development in the others.

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And prediction time (minor spoiler):

Some of the loyalists from the traitor legions will go on to at the very least contribute to the gene seed of the Grey Knights, maybe even be founding members. The Emperor's #2 hinted towards that to the surviving Death Guard at the end of Flight Of The Eisenstein. It'd be cool if they went back to Isstvan III and dug up Saul and Gavi or the Emperor actually "saved" them.

I know that chapter supposedly has the purest seed, but he probably had a reason he use the primarchs as a way to deliver his awesomeness to the space marines. Maybe the marines who successfully resisted chaos will have something to do with him making a new seed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: