The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warhammer 40k and Fantasy general discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:

As an aside, I recently picked up a copy of Blood Bowl Dark Elves Edition for the PC. As soon as my new TEC arrives, and if that fixes the problem, I'm installing that bitch.

1. We are so playing some games. Let me know when you get it set up.

2. In the fall they are putting out another addition that adds 11 more teams. They better not charge an arm and a leg for it.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 more teams? They already have all the races represented. Unless they start throwing in some 40k.....which would be awesome. Team Tyranid, Team Necron....
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
11 more teams? They already have all the races represented. Unless they start throwing in some 40k.....which would be awesome. Team Tyranid, Team Necron....

Nope, Blood Bowl is technically another universe than Fantasy Warhammer. Here's the list of teams:

Amazons
Chaos
Chaos Dwarves
Dark Elves
Dwarves
Elves
Goblins
Halflings
High Elves
Human
Khemri
Lizardmen
Necromantic
Norse
Nurgle
Ogre
Orcs
Skaven
Undead
Vampire
Wood Elves

I think there's a few missing from that group, and there's no way they would add both high elves and elves (then again, they are French). Also, the Gobs and Ogres are basically one team in the current game so I doubt there would be a separate ogre team.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a "different" universe, but everything you listed is a major(to a degree) race from the fantasy setting, all of which are represented in the game. Although it is missing Slaanesh, Khorne and the Harlequin, which are represented in the tabletop version of Bowl. In any case, there aren't 11 more groups to add.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
It is a "different" universe, but everything you listed is a major(to a degree) race from the fantasy setting, all of which are represented in the game. Although it is missing Slaanesh, Khorne and the Harlequin, which are represented in the tabletop version of Bowl. In any case, there aren't 11 more groups to add.

I'm no expert, I'm just relaying the info. Take up your objections with GW, they created the "races".

And the ones I left out of the list:

Slann
Chaos Pact
Underworld??

But Cyanide did say chaos dwarves won't be in that version. Something about rendering creatures with four legs or something.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo! I love those crazy midgets.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Boo! I love those crazy midgets.

There were rumblings from Mythic when they were developing WAR about GW wanting them to hold off on Chaos Dwarves. I honestly don't think there's any of them even as npc's. Maybe they want to do something special with them or phase them out?

Finished A Thousand Sons, BTW. It's the best stand alone HH book by far. The first three were written as a trilogy so I can't compare it to that and the backtracking was so much more enjoyable than it was in Fulgrim. But I just read up on Ahriman. If I had know of his deeds in 40K, I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed the book more or less. He's basically the wise voice-of-reason protagonist in the book. Shit happens, but his actions were always tempered and justified.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much how most people see it. As with many of the traitor legions, they were basically betrayed and hunted despite good intentions.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW is sueing Curse over their Warhammer Alliance site. Curse is the main source for add-ons which Mythic (Warhammer Online) openly supports. The official Mythic forums opened up about 6 months after launch. Before then, Warhammer Alliance was the place for WAR info.

I honestly think they saw the WAR billing fuck up (why I didn't go back after school started) as an opportunity and want to stick a dagger in it before the 40K MMO comes out.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me one bit. The way UK copyright works is that you must, always and constantly, defend your copyrights or you will lose those rights. So GW sues everyone, all the time. If I have a tattoo of a GW trademarked image, they could try to sue me. This suit will likely go nowhere, they have no legal grounds to sue since they themselves promoted the site several times, which by law makes them officially supportive and an endorsing party.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Doesn't surprise me one bit. The way UK copyright works is that you must, always and constantly, defend your copyrights or you will lose those rights. So GW sues everyone, all the time. If I have a tattoo of a GW trademarked image, they could try to sue me. This suit will likely go nowhere, they have no legal grounds to sue since they themselves promoted the site several times, which by law makes them officially supportive and an endorsing party.

I actually feel a little used by GW. Warhammer Online was my gateway to the Warhammer world. Sure, I knew about it since like 1991 when my brother got Space Hulk and I had played some Dawn Of War. However, it was the Warhammer Alliance site that really got me into the lore when I kept hearing people say what the game screwed up or how messed up it was that Tzeetch was in charge, etc... Heck, my guild started out as a mirror of the 40k Black Legion when it was on the roleplay server.

And from what I've read on the boards, I'm not the only one who is thinking the 40k MMO conspiracy angle. Wink

Oh, another thing, I picked up the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus on the way home from school today.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! The first ones takes a bit to get going, you can really see that it's his first attempt at a full novel. You can distinctly observe him getting more comfortable and experienced with writing about his angle of the Imp subject matter. By the second book in the omnibus you're kind of hooked, and once you finish the third you are hopelessly addicted. The second omnibus really takes the series to dizzying heights in terms of developing some real empathy and concern for certain characters. And boy does he know how to kill off main and major supporting characters(which he does every book or so).

Your sentiments are basically what every GW fan comes to feel. They are some dirty assholes, no doubt about it.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read This

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are fun to read even outside of their work. Great post.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way the third Gaunt's Ghosts book starts out. Forty pages in and the IG makes their first appearance.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third book or third omnibus?
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Third book or third omnibus?

Book. Necropopdopolis or something like that. I can't put it down, even when in class.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you so. By the third book, you'd be hooked. I said it. It only gets better.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the second GG omnibus on the way home from class as well as Aaron Dembski-Bowdon's first Night Lords book. Seemed like a quick enough read. And just now when I went to go look up the spelling of his name, I saw that Black Legion is in it. Score!

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Soul Hunter.

What a great book! I guess it isn't that fluff-intensive, but it does get more and more into Konrad Curze's last days through flashback as the book went on. The lead character could be seen as sort of a conservative Night Lord, much more the straight up psychopathic killer than many of his brothers who were letting various forms of choas corrupt them.

In that way, he's a lot like nearly all the lead characters from the HH books. I guess that's the best way to go if you are going to write a kick ass book about CSM's and relate it to the reader.

Something I didn't know is how the Eye Of Terror distorts time. In their time, the NL's are only a century or so from the heresy. Still, it's about a company of CSM's in decline and how they deal with it. And Black Legion is in it, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: