The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warhammer 40k and Fantasy general discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dembrowski is definitely not a fluff pusher. He's more into what he considers a more realistic 40k, cutting through all the blatantly contradictory and physically impossible nonsense. I'm indiscriminate, myself, I enjoy just about anything 40k as long as it's well written.

The Eye distorts time because of all the Warp energy flowing into the materium. In the Warp, time works in any given direction and speed at any given moment, and that property is sort of layered into our world through the breach. The NL story is not really official canon, only conjecture by one author, but that goes for everything, even stuff put out by GW themselves. It does explain how their armour still works after ten thousand years, and how they have managed to keep their numbers.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ready for Dark Millennium, chow?
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
You ready for Dark Millennium, chow?

Nah. I may give it a shot, but Eve Online is so many times nerd than any other MMO out there. I put in way more hours learning that game's complexities than my schoolwork, and I've only scratched the surface.

The thing that disappoints me is DM is having two sides just like WAR. How can they not have at least four? Oh, and you start off in IG before being a SM? Grrrrr

But I'll still buy it retail and blow shit up for a few weeks before I realize I'm playing it too much like I did with WAR. PvP MMO's require the constant focus of a shooter with the hours of a MMO. Dangerous combination for me. Smile

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I have some serious reservations with the two faction nonsense. It's supposed to be every race for itself, literally. I don't want a repeat of Mythic's vision of Warhammer. And the fact that SM's will be unlockable instead of available to start seems kind of silly.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read on their site it's Order vs Destruction exactly like WAR. Idiots.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the game wont be out for 2 years so hopefully everything is subject to change Razz
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But I don't hold out much hope given the people involved. Of course GW is supporting them, they could care less what their licensees do as long as they make more money. I'm just happy we have two reputable companies to give us the goods - FFG and Relic. I could understand Mythic pulling this shit, but this is like they are blatantly ripping off someone else's bad idea out of laziness. Laziness in creating something original, and laziness to try ad utilize the built in customer base of WAR. It's bullshit.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
True. But I don't hold out much hope given the people involved. Of course GW is supporting them, they could care less what their licensees do as long as they make more money. I'm just happy we have two reputable companies to give us the goods - FFG and Relic. I could understand Mythic pulling this shit, but this is like they are blatantly ripping off someone else's bad idea out of laziness. Laziness in creating something original, and laziness to try ad utilize the built in customer base of WAR. It's bullshit.

To be fair, Mythic's MMO PvP is a great model. It has the right amount of class balance, good role distribution, has an advantage to those who setup properly, with good realtime response for the twitchy crowd. It was much better with three realms, though. Which makes Relic's two realm model even more batty, IMO.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great model for an MMO, but not a great model for the IP. To do that, you have to go completely against what Warhammer and 40k are all about. There are no teams, there are no circumstances in which the races would be allied. It doesn't work if you want to hold true to the setting. It becomes nothing more than an adaptation, and a poor one at that.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Crush on this, but to be fair, I don't think you could feasibly make a MMORPG or even an MMOFPS utilizing the IP and maintain a game balance. The only way I could see it staying true to WH40K, is by making an MMORTS and balance it towards large scale armies.

I'm still new to the WH40K reading, but from what I've read, there is no way the Imperium would ever side with any xenos.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was actually that DoaC's three realms worked better than WAR's two. The weakest realm could always be used as a wildacard, whereas in WAR if your side sucked, it just sucked.

The thing that worries me is there are supposed rules that a lot of MMORPG's have followed that made them nothing special leading to them fading away in under a year. DM seems to be "playing it safe" like a lot of those games and could be it's downfall.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mojo states, the Imperium would never ally themselves with any other race. They may temporarily act relatively peacefully toward the Eldar or Tau, but only if a war effort would be too costly and the chance of victory not high enough to merit the aggression. Mutants and demi-humans are slaves if not killed outright to maintain racial purity. The only way to realistically do an Imperial Faction is to have the "armies" comprised only of the various organizations - Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Astartes, Adeptus Ministorum and the Imperial Guard. That's four distinct "races" with a wide variety of expertise.

The Orks only have temporary allies during specific planetary actions if it helps them kill more people, and will always turn on their allies as soon as the primary goal is achieved, not to mention they are all but immune to Chaos corruption. Their faction would have to be entirely Klan based - Bad Moonz, Deth Skullz, Goffs, Evil Sunz, etc. Not so widely distinct, just a few Klan oriented behaviors.

Chaos is so widely varied the only viable teams would be the Traitor Legions by Chapter and perhaps a homogenized generic heretic cult, both of which are but one tiny aspect of Chaos.

Dark Eldar never ally with anyone. Ever.

Eldar don't fit easily with any kind of cooperative arrangement I can think of on a macro scale.

Tau aren't numerous enough to wage all out war against the Imperium, but nearer to their controlled space, you must be absorbed into the Greater Good or killed. No compromises.

I suppose it might work in a story specific way - the setting would have to be an area of space which is heavily contested for some dark, esoteric reason, and this might cause a longer than usual alliance between Imperial forces and the Eldar and possible even Tau. Same goes for the Orks being manipulated into the conflict by Chaos forces a la Winter Assault. But you can forget about the Dark Eldar or the Necron. No way, no how. So I expect those races will never be available. All in all, this is a terrible representation of the IP. Game mechanics feasibility aside, at the moment it sounds like nothing more than a rip off of WAR. I don't believe the faction system is the only viable MMO format, not by a longshot. It's just what everyone is used to, and certain game makers don't want to think of anything new for various reasons.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Order" may have been a misprint or a concept title. One of the two factions is "Imperium Of Man" according to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYlO7Mnz9FU

Then again, they do say it is a race, so an alliance with Eldar is still possible for the game. Which would be bullshit if you can go dungeon crawling with a mixed party whenever you want IMO.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just the first race exposition. The site and one of the developers during the video interview very clearly states there are two factions - Order and Destruction.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading The First Heretic. Another Aaron D-B book that just knocks your socks off.

I'm only 170 pages in, but it's the best space opera novel that deals with religion I've read since since God Emperor Of Dune (there's more philosophical scifi that debates God, can't compare the two). I thought I was going to hate the subject legion, but wow, I absolutely love them so far.

And Crush, you'll get a kick out of this exchange:

Quote:
"Two already lost" Lorgar looked back to the city. "I still recall how they -"

"Enough" warned Magus. "Honour thy oath you took that day!"

There's a bit more about the " forgotten and purged" legions, but I got all excited for a second before being let down.

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by what I know, it seems the Word Bearers are the only space marines who have actually "won". I mean, the Imperium has been fighting for 10,000 years a slowly losing battle against the corruptions of chaos which seems to be largely orchestrated by them.

So they are basically getting what they want, and thus they are winning.

Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading First Heretic and Nemesis the other day, Both were actually quite good and I have heard complaints about nemesis but I just think of it as an awesome episode of CSI and slinter cell rolled together.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books off of the free table in berthing... I was pleasantly surprised. I have a friend who has been trying to get me to read Dan Abnett for a couple of years, and I've been resisting, as I don't usually like 'branded' writing, but he is pretty good. I think I might pick up the rest of the Gaunt's Ghosts books (the one I read was like number 10 or so... The Armor of Contempt, if you are familiar with the series), and also the Hourus Heresy, as I'm between books right now.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely read from the beginning. Experiencing the regiment's story from the beginning, watching them grow...there is no other way to read this series.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed with Abnett's Prospero Burns. The book is 444 pages long and it was over 300 pages where they had a reveal which explained why I had just read 300 pages of a mostly boring story about a cultural historian.

He got away with it in his Alpha Legion book because you aren't supposed to know their secrets. And that one had an awesome ending. This one seemed like it had a HOLY SHIT!!! reveal near the end, but turned out to be lame.

I actually think you can read this one before A Thousand Sons, a far superior book.

Everyone needs to do more cancer walks so Dan can write better HH books.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: