The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Android OS
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Android OS Reply with quote

I figure instead of just continuously taking over the "New Toy" thread, I would create one just for discussion about Android phones and the various associated topics.

Speaking of which, while there is already a "dice bag" app and a Character Sheet app, I wonder how long it will be until someone develops an app to just play DnD game right on my android phone?

Also, I know have a GBA emulator and Final Fantasy I, II, IV, and V on my Droid.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Android OS Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Also, I know have a GBA emulator and Final Fantasy I, II, IV, and V on my Droid.

/jealous

I wish AT&T would buy Verizon or the the other way around so I can get a Droid and still be on AT&T. I can't leave them for various financial reasons...
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to get a Droid. AT&T is suppose to be coming out with a couple of Android Phones very soon and you can down load the emulater onto any phone with that OS.

In other news, Android Phones now have a new way to search/download apps: http://listen.googlelabs.com/download.html
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetness. I can't wait... I am starting to hate my iPhone 3G. It is slow as hell waking up sometimes. And it crashes a lot in Safari. And it crashes a lot on other programs. And programs are jerky.

Oh, and it's Apple.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Jon Boy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know why Apple and T-Mobile have such a bad rap. lap top battery life: ~4 hours; no viruses in 5+ years surfing the net and downloading all sorts of crap; cell phone bill is ~$60.00 a month; call anybody in the country from anywhere in the country (including Hawaii and Alaska); i have a blessed technological life. now, if my scooter ran...
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call anyone in the country from anywhere in the country? No.

Try Lusk WY. Try Chanute, KS. Try Linden, TX. Try Valliant, OK. Try Harmony, MN.

That's 5 towns I've been to in the last year for work that, when I ask why I don't have cell coverage, the first question I hear is "Do you have AT&T?". If the answer is "Yes.", you have zero signal. I have to put my phone into Airplane Mode just so my battery isn't dead in 8 hours. The followup to that first question is "If you had Verizon, you'd have full signal.". Some even have 3G when AT&T has nothing.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I remember being really disappointed with Verizons 3G coverage but that's no longer the case. During my entire drive from Tampa, FL to Oswego, NY there was only about a 30 mile gap that I didn't have 3G coverage. Even out where I'm staying, which is definitely the country and not close to anything I would consider a city, I still have 3G coverage. Its not very often I'm actually impressed by a cell phone company, but Verizon has managed it on this trip.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally used the new gallery tonight, definitely like how much its compatibility with Picasa has been improved. Also used Goggles to search for a review on the book I bought, which worked great (only thing I didn't see was a way to edit the search parameters that resulted from the image, even though I didn't need to in this case).
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed google earth on my droid.
I was not impressed.
I cannot find the option to load KML.

It seems it does the same thing as google maps.

My battery dies after about 8-12 hours.
I ordered 2 batteries off ebay from hong kong for $15.

I think the browser is very usable and fast enough. I don't feel like I am waiting for a page to load. Also XScope is a fast browser too. Opera mini BLOWS!!!

If you want Xscope PM me.

My only complaint about the droid would be battery life.

I loaded cnn.com against a friends Iphone and the droid was alot faster. Not sure which iphone version however.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3G goes in and out in my office.

How to I pull up which applications have updates?
Yesterday it said 6 apps have updates but I did not download any of them.
How do I get back to that screen?
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try swearing. Quietly.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
My 3G goes in and out in my office.

How to I pull up which applications have updates?
Yesterday it said 6 apps have updates but I did not download any of them.
How do I get back to that screen?

Go to the market place and bring up the menu. I think it's under something like "Downloads"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to take my Droid in to be fixed today. I was getting the "?" in the battery status bar error. Verizon didn't even bother to run any tests on it. I just explained what was going on, they said it was still under warranty, and handed me a new phone. With out a doubt the easiest phone replacement I have ever had to do.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Madhatte wrote:
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

Mmmmmm Soylent Green, a little BBQ sauce.... I am hungry now.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrote this email to my friend the other day; He just got a Droid:

I am kind of disappointed in mine. I find myself hardly using the internet and hardly using the maps.

I have not put any games on the phone and I have not used it for music or video.

It is annoying you have to convert your video to 3GP format. If I could just place a xvid or divx file on the memory card I would probably watch a video on it.

The only apps I use are Meebo, traffic and the weather channel.

The only cool thing I have done is Ustream where you can broadcast video to the internet via your phone. We used it on the beach and some friends could see us.

Anyways I find myself now using it much at all.

What are you all doing on your android phones?

Going to try homepipe sometime.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are drastically under using your Droid.

I probably use the internet about every day or every other day, depending on how much time I've spent at my home in a given day.

I use google maps, or more specifically google navigator, at least once a week.

Beyond that, I have a ton of apps I use, whether it is for tracking my workout routine or google voice for text messages.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed 2.2(Froyo) yesterday for shits and giggles.

Everything seems a bit snappier, so that's good. Corporate calendar and Google calendar are now merged, which is really nice for me. It was a pain in the ass before.

As near as I can tell Flash is only useful for saying, "My phone runs flash, and the iPhone doesn't! Neener neener". The 3 or 4 things I tried ran like ass. I even tried overclocking it to 900 mhz, and Flash still is most a dog.

Chrome To Phone is this neat little extension for Chrome using the new push API in 2.2. It adds this phone button on your desktop browser. Anytime you want to send a link to your phone, you just click it, and a few seconds later it's on your phone. Maybe not super useful in day to day use, but when you're testing out new features, and flash, it's pretty cool.

Unless they change something in this ROM before release, the stock Moto Droid won't have the Wifi hotspot.

Lots of small changes. Seems like a bigger jump than 2.0 to 2.1 was.

Edit:
Oh yeah. The Youtube player now defaults to HD, which actually makes things watchable now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the ROM from?
I read about one on engadget but wifi was not working.
It is an official ROM?

Anyone know a working tethering program? Even wifi tethering?
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh. "Official", no I don't think so. I believe it's leaked from Verizon though. It's basically the one that was on Engadget, but they fixed wifi a few days later. I haven't found any major issues, but there is an oddity or two. Won't know if it's on purpose or not until the official release.

This ROM did not have the wifi tethering, but since it included root access, it was easy to set up, and seems to work well.

Here's a good place to get started:
http://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to-tether-your-android-phone

Last edited by Lotan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: