The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Android OS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want all the carrier bloat, it is very easy to turn a Sense 5 HTC One into a Google Play Edition. I'm pretty sure some people dual boot Sense 5 and Vanilla 4.3
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most all phones can be rooted and used with a custom ROM. Then you can get most or less features.

If you want to root, I would skip the Moto X on Verizon and sprint. Also, the Droid Ultra series on Verizon.

The Moto X on ATT and TMobile will be unlocked. Root away!
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that it is especially easy to unlock and root the One.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm leaning to the Moto X on ATT, as I don't have a pressing need for it to be with someone else, and I kinda want a customized one...
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing around with Moto Maker earlier today. I like the customization. I also like the size of the MotoX. I wish the One were a little smaller with the same screen size. A lot of techies complain about the specs on the MotoX not being good enough, but the difference between this year's phones and the phones from two years ago is huge. I'm not sure the average person would really notice a difference between it and the One or GS4. I've heard that 16 hour battery life with typical use is not uncommon. That would be nice too.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So so hard to pick a new phone! The Droid 5 QWERTY phone has leaked photos online.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/purported-images-of-motorola-droid-5-smartphone-with-qwerty-slider-leak-online-410591

So now it is Droid 5, Moto X, Droid Ultra, S4, HTC One, or Note III.

If they do NOT give the Droid 5 shitty specs and it has the same CPU as the X and Ultra, I will get the Droid 5.

FYI: The Verizon HTC One has been fully hacked and unlocked. It came out on Verizon a week or two ago.
Not sure why people are complaining about the X because the benchmark in Antutu is 19000-20000. Same bench as the Droid Ultra and New 7" Nexus Tablet. I am more disappointed in the Ultra not being say 20% faster than the X.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want the Droid 5?

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QWERTY sliding keyboard.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QWERTY sliding keyboard.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time BlackBerry user I can't stand any other keyboards. The only benefit of the slider is full use of the screen while typing.

Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a long time physical keyboard holdout too, but I feel like the software ones are better at this point. They've come a long way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is semi-interesting. The new girl is rather cute.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/sergey-brin-love-quadrangle-blamed-for-google-executives-sudden-departure-20130829-2st1m.html

"Google has been rocked by news of an office romance that is being blamed for a split between co-founder Sergey Brin and his wife, and the sudden resignation of another senior male executive who was the former boyfriend of Brin's new love interest."
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest, I can't really bring myself to care about the soap opera of human interaction from my tech companies. As long as they keep making cool tech, I don't care if they can keep in in their pants.

Maybe that makes me a terrible human being, but honestly, I like to think that it is none of my business, and why fill the news with that, when they could tell us about some new tech, or stay quiet and let us get on with the soap operas of our own lives.

(From a trying not to be a troll standpoint, please note that I have no ill will associated with this, and am not saying 'your post sucks'. Really, I'm kinda asking what the appeal is in this sort of drama from a tech company.)
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she is much younger than his Wife and she is very 'nerd' hot. Any nerd would give their left arm to date a girl that looked like her. Plus, she is Asian and all nerds like Asian chicks.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the Samsung Accouncement Wednesday for the Note III + Watch but now Asus has an announcement for their 10 inch Tegra 4 tablet.

I am now wondering about getting the Note III or getting an S4 when it goes to $99 and trying to get the new Asus Tablet for Christmas.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
Plus, she is Asian and all nerds like Asian chicks.

Not true. I don't have a preference.

Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that Samsung wants people to commit to the Galaxy brand, but I think the better move would be to make the Galaxy Gear compatible with any device running 4.3 rather than only the Note III at launch and other Galaxy devices as they upgrade to 4.3. I also don't understand why they included the shitty camera.

Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that Samsung wants people to commit to the Galaxy brand, but I think the better move would be to make the Galaxy Gear compatible with any device running 4.3 rather than only the Note III at launch and other Galaxy devices as they upgrade to 4.3. I also don't understand why they included the shitty camera.

Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think eventually they'll open it up to more devices. It's cool enough that I'd like to play with one. It's not cool enough that I'd ever pay money for one.

One of my coworkers was one of the main devs on the Pebble watch. It's funny to hear his stories about "Smart Watches"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the leaks are correct and the new Amazon Kindle Fire has the Snapdragon 800 CPU; then it should be pretty fast and sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: