The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dresden Files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Dresden Files Reply with quote

I figured I'd start a thread for this series. I mentioned in the Anita Blake thread I'm now reading this to keep me occupied until the next AB book.

Just started the first book the othernight, only about a hundred pages in. 12+ hour days leave me little energy and time to read during the week. So I'm trying to shower and be in bed around 8:30 to read for an hour or so, but that doesn't always happen Rolling Eyes

So far...I'm liking the story and the 'atmosphere' of it. Though Butcher's writing style is so insanely similar to Hamiltons, I wouldn't be surprised if they were one in the same. The descriptions they use, the inner monologues, everything is just so similar. Hell, even some of the characters seem to be similar. The chick cop who calls in Harry for help on 'supernatural' cases (dolph), her sidekick who thinks Dresden is full of shit (a lot of the cops in AB), the hot reporter chick who wants stories (Irving), etc.
Is this what attracted you guys (Haven, Spyder, etc) to the series? Or the story itself?

Also...just curious what I'm getting into. Sex? If so...on AB level? or?
Violence? There better be lots! I'm talking exploding heads!

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the first book just now. I enjoyed it, and picked up the second one earlier today. I think I'll keep reading them Very Happy

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Vy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed at the RPG link
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm in love with this series. Also: finally found a group of people to play the RPG with. Looking forward to that kicking off.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Glistam wrote:
I think I'm in love with this series. Also: finally found a group of people to play the RPG with. Looking forward to that kicking off.

I wants to kills you and wear your skins. But yes, this series rocks. Where are you?
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the series, read up through Changes. I'm just waiting on the library to "get to me" in the que for my request for Side Jobs so I can read the short stories too.

Changes was... I don't think I can express it in words. Just holy crap. Very appropriately named.

I think Ghost Story is coming out in a couple months? I'm excited.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Me too, Dude! Cannot wait. And Changes was about the most appropriately named books I have ever seen. Holy crap does sum it up.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my favorite series.....Ghost Story comes out April 5th. I have it marked on the calender on my phone Laughing

Also...I strongly urge you both to check out Butchers Codex Alera series....it's absolutely fantastic. I had no intention of reading them anytime soon, but I received the first 4 books for Christmas. I'm in the middle of the last book now, and I have had trouble putting any of the books down. Fan-fucking-tastic!

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received "Side Jobs" as an audiobook on cd today. Now I need to do more driving.

Also, if you're interested in the rpg, you can DL the two books from the link below. But if you haven't read through book 10 be warned - it contains spoilers.
http://www.blueelephantbrigade.com/images/Dave/Dresden/
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 26, 2011?

cry baby
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...shit. Guess I better update my calender. That fucking blows Evil or Very Mad

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Resheph wrote:
Well...shit. Guess I better update my calender. That fucking blows Evil or Very Mad

Seconded. On a side note, started reading the first of the Codex series. Really good!
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to mention this previously, but it was watching the SciFi TV series that got me interested in this. The series only lasted a season, and bears little more than superficial resemblance to the books, but taken on its own it was very enjoyable. Now that I've read the books and have them to compare it to, I think the TV series can be described as "Dresden Files Lite".
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I refuse to watch the series... It would anger me. Like the Seeker of truth series....
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched less then 5 minutes of the first episode of the dresden show, and turned it off.

You on the second Codex Alera book yet, Spyder? Just finished the last book, and am completely disappointed that there aren't anymore. One of my all time favorite series.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Yep, about half way through.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter 1 of Ghost Story is available to read off the publisher's website.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I finished the Codex.... Absolutely awesome! Excellent series!
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya! Very Happy

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

SPyder wrote:
I refuse to watch the series... It would anger me. Like the Seeker of truth series....

I wouldn't put the Dresden Files TV series in the same horrible category as the Seeker of Truth series. But if you're heavily invested in the books I can see being wary of the TV series. There were definately a lot of changes, but I think the core feel (detective story with some magic/supernatural thrown in) was still there just fine.

I'm listening to the books on audio CD right now (the only ones available to me: the two that feature the Denarians) and I'm amazed at just how much I missed when I read those books for the first time. I'm picking up on lots of fun little things that'll be interesting to roll into the RPG when playing or running it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: