The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monster Hunter Tri (Nintendo Wii)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Monster Hunter Tri (Nintendo Wii) Reply with quote

I picked up Monster Hunter Tri when it came out Tuesday and I'm enjoying the game immensely. It can be played online and offline and in many ways it's reminescent of the recent Phantasy Star online games, as far as gameplay. However, comparing it to that series of games gives it a disservice, since visually it is nothing like those games and very refreshing because of that. The characters and world I feel have a sort of tribal, viking feel to them.

I only played it very briefly online but now that I have some more familiarity with the offline mode I hope to give online more of a shot this weekend. The game supports the "Wii Speak" accessory, so there's built-in voice chat in online play that sounds like it could be very cool (or annoying, depending on how many other people are around the mic).

Gamestop had free demo discs of the game which allowed you to play a variety of characters and weapons in a couple of quests, if you can still find a demo disc it's a good way to get a feel for the game without shelling out the money.

Also: This game lets you hunt Raptors with swords.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But did they ever fix the Wii's "input a 43 digit code for each friend" crap?
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely plan to pick it up at some point, just have other things goin on right now

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Haven, they did bypass that. I've grouped and chatted a couple times with Yobun now and it wasn't until our last group that I even discovered how to add him as a friend.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you mentioned the demo. I was curious about the game, but not entirely sure I wanted to try it. I'll definitely be grabbing the demo and giving it a shot.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it has been fun. one nice feature about getting together with friends is that there is just a warp to friend option. so you don't have to hunt each other down on server and world.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to use Wii Speak you'll need to have done the whole Wii friend code thing - ultimately though, it's not really a necessary feature and you can use a USB keyboard to type if you feel the need to talk.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yobun, I've found some useful info on this site:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

Also, Fireflies are an item you can trade commodities to the Argosy Captain for. Between that and the insect box for the second ingredient, I've got lots of bait.

Also, Monster Guts, Red Coral Stone and Goldenfish are account items: It doesn't matter how many extra we find in a quest, we can't keep them. They just get converted into extra reward on the quest completion screen.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on yesterday and that event has ended.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me sad.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More people need to play this so Yobun and I can go online and meet up with people we know besides each other.

The game I guess can come with the classic controller pro, which from what I've read is a good way to play the game and people swear by it. I do most of my gaming on the Wii usually so I had no issue with using the Wiimote and nunchuck. To try it out I got a classic controller pro but at least with my focus on the bowgun, I didn't see it as a must-have accessory. It was more intuitive to control your camera angle with that controller however, but I didn't care for the attack button layouts.

Yobun I understand enjoys the game with the classic controller pro. So if you're holding back because you don't like the Wii remote, there's an option for you there you may enjoy.

This weekend I grabbed the last two demo disc my local Gamestop had. The guy behind the counter was glad to be rid of them. If you're on the fence, you may not have much time left (if at all) to still find a demo disc and try it.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if you could use the wavebird instead of the classic controller?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My internet search-fu tells me no, it's not compatable with the wavebird/GC controller. Tonight I'll try my GC controller though and see how true that is.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the game didn't know what to do with the gamecube controller and just ignored it.

I've done a few arena battles with my kids helping, they're a nice break from the main game. The reward isn't the best but it's fun to try and the coins you get can be used to synth some neat items.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked all the Gamestops in the area and they all said they were out of the demo discs. Whether they actually were, or if they were just telling me they were in a effort to get me to buy the full game I don't no. The videos on Youtube that I've seen look pretty nice though. I'll probably end up picking up a copy sometime this week.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3DS and Wii U versions of this are half price for the next 4 days. I might finally pick a Monster Hunter up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: