The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Nier Reply with quote

One of the best stories I've seen in a JRPG. Very dark for for those folks. It's a shame that the meat of the game is all horribly awful item grinding fetch quests. And having to play it through four times to get all the story seems a weird design decision. All in all, very well written, great dialogue and awesome plot. Even some of the quests have some interesting outcomes and repercussions, despite the quests themselves being terrible.
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What system did you play it on? I saw that in Japan there are two versions of the game (different story on PS3 and 360), but the Xbox was the only one to go international. I'd like to get if for the PS3 as that is my preferred system unless there are quality issues in the port.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it for the PS3. I'm not aware of any differences between console versions, but I didn't really look into it. One good thing is that once you finish a quest, you never have to do it again on your next playthrough. I'm hoping the last ending doesn't require you to have 100% quest completion, because I happened to miss the only missable quest in part 1, which you never get to play again after the first ending. And there's one quest I refuse to do which involves hours of mindless plant cultivation. I'm on the third ending, and it requires you to have found all the weapons, of which I'm only missing two. One other interesting tidbit - after you watch the fourth ending, it erases all your savegames. So I'd have to back them up on a flash or something if I wanted to keep them.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I'm late to the party here (not that many guests showed up), but I recently played and finished this game.

I agree the story is pretty good, at least the 90% of the story that is revealed in the last 10% of the game. When I started the game I enjoyed it a lot, but it got stale fast. There are only a handful of pretty small zones, that you traverse over and over throughout the game. The graphics are not good. The music is kind of interesting, but grows old quickly as well. The game is incredibly easy. New game plus, is especially boring. Like Chrono Trigger, you keep your levels on a replay and every monster is basically a one hit mindless kill.

However, if you choose to skip most of the boring sidequests and stick with the main quest, you can finish the game in under 15 hours pretty easily. At that speed, the game can be a good time with an interesting story. But, as mentioned, to get the whole story you have to replay the second half of the game multiple times. Might just want to YouTube the extra endings to save yourself the trouble.

If you enjoy going for 100% trophies/achievements like I chose to do, you'll be ready to break your game disc before you finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: