The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noob Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXIV - Final Fantasy Online II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Noob Questions Reply with quote

I decided to create a new thread for this, because I have no idea what the main topic of the 9 page one is anymore.

I posted the following on allakhazam, but didn't get any answers yet and realized you guys are probably better to ask anyway.

Ok, just getting started in the Beta, and I got some quick questions. If there is a place where these are already answered, please direct me there.

- First, I use to have a minimap at the top of my screen that showed my current path, where North is as well as dots representing PCs and NPCs. It isn't there anymore? How do I get it back?

- I got a message I learned a weapon skill, but couldn't figure out how to use it. An NPC told me I have to equip it in the "Actions" or w/e menu option, but when I go there I still can't figure out how to do it. Every slot I select just gives me one option "Unequip slot". Any help?

- I notice I can warp around at the cost of something (Atoms or something, I can't remember). Where do these things come from. Seems like I had 100 to start.

- I am a lancer, and it says I can attack from further away. Should I actually be trying to keep distance between me and the mob when I am soloing? Or is running around a mob you are fighting just as pointless as it was in XI?

- Is there a way to check mobs like you can in XI? I am curious as to what will kick my ass and what not.

I probablly have 1000 more, but I am sure I can figure out more as I screw around with the game some more. Its amazing how different the offline and online Final Fantasy games are as far as tutorials. 80% of the way through XIII I swear the game was still telling me how to do basic commands I figured out in the opening battle, while in XI and XIV it feels more like "here is a boatload of obscure options, have fun figuring it out..."
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously why every time I click reply on these forums does it take me back to the main forum page the first time? The second time it allows me to reply?

Anyway, another FFXIV question.

Can someone explain TP in this game. Seems like it maxes at 3000. How much is used for a weapon skill (assuming you use TP for ws). And what is going on once I am not engage? I notice my TP goes down and my HP goes up. Once my TP is all gone, it seems like my HP starts going up faster.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Questions Reply with quote

Vawn wrote:
- First, I use to have a minimap at the top of my screen that showed my current path, where North is as well as dots representing PCs and NPCs. It isn't there anymore? How do I get it back?

Probably when you resized down?

Try: Go to C:\Users\$yournamehere$\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\user and delete the folders inside. You will lose macros if you have any but the UI will be reset. If you want to avoid losing macros go inside of the folders and look for the file named UI and delete only that.

can also try:
Quote:
First go into Username/Documents (my documents in xp and older) and find the folder my games. Inside that folder should be the FFXIV Beta folder and inside that a user folder.
Originally Posted By: The full path in Vista/Win7
(Drive Letter):\Users\(Username)\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\user\

Originally Posted By: XP
(Drive Letter):\Documents and Settings\(Username)\My Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\user\
You need to replace Drive Letter is your windows install drive and replace Username with your windows username.
The folder you're in (user) should have a bunch of what looks like randomly named folders. If you haven't switched the folders view to details do so now. It will be in the view menu towards the top of the window.
Now that you can see the dates and times the folders were last modified you need to find the one/s that have date/s in august.
If you have only one folder with an august date open it up and find the "ui" named file. It has no file extension and is about 6kb. Once you have found it you can delete it. **DO NOT DELETE any file that starts with "mcr" those contain your macros.
If you have two or more folders from august you need to repeat step 4 on each of them removing the "ui" file.

Quote:
- I got a message I learned a weapon skill, but couldn't figure out how to use it. An NPC told me I have to equip it in the "Actions" or w/e menu option, but when I go there I still can't figure out how to do it. Every slot I select just gives me one option "Unequip slot". Any help?

There's a drop-down that's not very obvious above where you see "Unequip slot". Select Lancer on that and you'll see all the abilities you have available.

Quote:
- I notice I can warp around at the cost of something (Atoms or something, I can't remember). Where do these things come from. Seems like I had 100 to start.

It's Anima. Not sure where it comes from, but we get back about 4 a day, which is way too little to my mind.

Quote:
- I am a lancer, and it says I can attack from further away. Should I actually be trying to keep distance between me and the mob when I am soloing? Or is running around a mob you are fighting just as pointless as it was in XI?

Positioning makes a big difference.

Quote:
- Is there a way to check mobs like you can in XI? I am curious as to what will kick my ass and what not.

There's a colored helmet icon to the left of the mobs' names when you have them targetted. Blue is EP, Green is DC, Yellow Tough, Orange IT, Red IT++
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vawn wrote:
Can someone explain TP in this game. Seems like it maxes at 3000. How much is used for a weapon skill (assuming you use TP for ws). And what is going on once I am not engage? I notice my TP goes down and my HP goes up. Once my TP is all gone, it seems like my HP starts going up faster.

You use TP for abilities, which you'll start seeing now that you know about the super-secret drop-down menu. The amount they use varies. Most the lower level ones that are weaponskill-like use 1000. One-time buffs (like "make next hit hit harder") are usually 250-500.

When you're not engaged, you get auto-regen, and yes, your TP depletes as well.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kiki, I'll give that deleting files to get my map back a try. No one else has been able to give me any advice on that one until you just did.

So even if I'm at full HP my TP will fall while I am not fighting?
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vawn wrote:
So even if I'm at full HP my TP will fall while I am not fighting?

Correct.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text commands in manual: https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=182773&#Post182773
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they change the keyboard commands at all or make a, "Play like XI option?"

I had the same issue as you Vawn with the map disappearing. I didn't even realize the entire UI was gone for my first hour of playing, and I was pretty frustrated. I believe Erock ran in to it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is in pdf for offline reading

http://www.plainfieldnjk12.org/temp/pics/What_is_FINAL_FANTASY_XIV.pdf

Is there a way to remap the keys or is that locked for beta?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demin
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixhr wrote:

Is there a way to remap the keys or is that locked for beta?

Most can be remapped. Some are locked though, like the arrow keys.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to manipulate the full screen map? i.e. scroll in any direction, or are you locked into the small section surrounding you?
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzai_Kitty wrote:
Is there a way to manipulate the full screen map? i.e. scroll in any direction, or are you locked into the small section surrounding you?

IJKL keys
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it anywhere. There is no reply function atm is there?

Do guildleves replenish or are they non repeatable?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixhr wrote:
I can't find it anywhere. There is no reply function atm is there?

Do guildleves replenish or are they non repeatable?

Can use control-R, but I think it's "send a tell to the last person i sent a tell to" rather than what we're used to in 11.

And guildleves are reset every 48 hours.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I gain Guardian's Favor?
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
How do I gain Guardian's Favor?

It replenishes at a set real world interval, like the conquest tally did every Sunday @~11am in FFXI. It's a significantly shorter interval than an entire week though. 36hrs?
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like it hasn't replenished at all since I started playing. :S
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You started playing?
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just under a week ago I picked it up. Had some games laying around to trade in, paid $8 for the disc, and it's still basically free to play. So far I'm enjoying myself, I won't pass judgement on the combat system at this point since it's getting such a big overhaul, but I find the game very relaxing.

The world's very beautiful and immersive, and the story and quests have been interesting thus far. There's a lot of sweeping changes going through the game, even now I understand it's quite different than it was at launch, and I wanted to give it a shot.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I had fun with the game for a little while, but it started to wear too quickly. It wasn't that the game wasn't fun, I just came to the realization, it wasn't fun enough to justify the time investment. I think my experience with XI was enough for me to think, "hmmm I see where this is going, you sure this is how you want to spend the majority of your free time for the next 5+ years?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXIV - Final Fantasy Online II All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: