The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EVE's Immorality As A Gameplay Mechanic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: EVE's Immorality As A Gameplay Mechanic Reply with quote

Gotta love the new trailer for EVE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I

With the sandbox model the game has, leaders can rob corporations blind or kick alliance corps out thus erasing sovereignty ala Benedict Arnold at West Point. I doubt CCP had this element of gameplay in mind when they made EVE, but now that it's a major part, they are embracing it.

Here's some recent examples of this "style of gameplay":

http://www.massively.com/2010/09/11/eve-online-player-steals-45-000-worth-of-isk-in-massive-investm/
http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=4008

Any thoughts on this? Awesome? Screwed up?

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think it is one of the things that makes eve as great as it is, to risk to lose it all or gain massive fortunes is always exciting.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of awesome. If a game can demonstrate some of the intricacies of investment and securities, then I think that's an opportunity for people to really learn something.

Of course this only has value if people take a look at what the underlying problems were. This could possibly result in the formation of an online Moody's to rate investments, with the chance that those people would be bribed, and so on. It's like real life, with one exception:

It's hard to provide real consequences to the criminals. Getting caught at something like that should mean that you lose everything, but the game doesn't feature prison, permadeath, etc.

It's been a while since I played but as I recall:
- You can lose the value of a ship - this is meaningless to someone with that much money.
- You can be pod-killed and lose training. As I recall there was some kind of cloning option to protect against this, right?

I don't see what consequences he could really suffer. He might even be able to make it as an investment fund manager again - people know he's not trustworthy but they also know that he can produce results. If the right controls are in place some people might still be willing to put their money in. Probably not worth his time now that he's a gazillionaire.

And it's not like a guy with that much money can't find allies.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it needs to teach anything, or provide such consequences. It's just a game, and he is paying per month to play. I'm not paying per month to have to start over from scratch every time I make a bad or risky decision. That's what real life is for. A game is an outlet to escape all that.

I sense a debate in the force.....
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just say that there are a lot of games that provide that risk-free escapism, and that Eve provides a sense of risk that is thrilling for some people. It's like poker, if you're playing without significant stakes then it's a completely different game. Risk is a fundamental part of the play in Eve.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna go with Mish on this.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risk is a fundamental part of all games. Else they would all automatically be God Mode. It's the same thing with NERO, and one of the reasons I stopped playing - you pay close to 50 bucks an event (usually once a month), and build a character. If that character happens to permadeath, you have to make a brand new character from scratch at first level, even if you've been playing for years and had a character well into the 70's(unless you've become so powerful there's really nothing left to spend BP on, so you end up just saving them instead - in that case you can spend them on one other character, and only if the primary gets permadeath). Not a proper investment strategy for a fictional environment. If someone gets thrills with this type of risk over something so unimportant, I won't sympathize when they lose out. To each his own, of course, but I see nothing wrong with having a built in parachute mechanism for those who don't want such hardcore circumstances for a gaming environment.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Risk and difficulty aren't the same. There's very little death penalty in WoW, for example, and hence very little risk. I never played NERO, but I would agree that any game with a permadeath feature carries more significant risk. Most games have drifted away from that kind of thing.

I can understand why, too. If I just lost a character that I'd worked on for two years or more I'd probably rage quit the game forever. Eve isn't my thing, but the people I know who like it really love it for being so different from the herd.

Fucking act like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: