The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server / Character
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXIV - Final Fantasy Online II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Server / Character Reply with quote

Servers open tomorrow evening (September 21) at 9PM EDT. I don't think I'll actually get my game until Wednesday, but here's what I'm doing.

Server: Bodhum - EXCALIBUR
Character: Kiki Tsakiki, Lalafell Dunesfolk female
Starting City: Ul'dah

Bodhum isn't one of the servers that people are talking about, so I'm hoping for a quiet sort of server. I hope to see people there!

edited: Merged with two other servers, we're now excalibur

Last edited by tsakiki on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll be there on Bodhum. Haven't decided between Limsa Lominsa and Ul'dah yet.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made my character. Tried looking for you Kiki Tsakiki, but either you haven't been on yet or I fail at searching.

I plan to be on later tonight. I'll probably just skip Abyssea tonight to give XIV my full attention today. Hopefully, I'll see you tonight and maybe we can do some leve linking.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my installation started. Planning to go to Abyssea tonight, and will hopefully be able to create Kiki after that. Not working tomorrow or Friday, so I'll be playing more than I would normally.
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persephon Jones in Ul'dar

hoping i'll be better at crafting this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me 15 hours, but I was finally able to create Kiki this morning. I'll be on after maintenance.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 hours? I guess you didn't use the torrent this time? Took me about 5 minutes to get up and running after the install.

I should be on shortly after the maintenance for a couple hours while my son naps. Then I should be on again in the evening. Have a linkpearl ready for me. Very Happy
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I ask why it took 15hrs to install?
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl/dr: defective disc

The 15 hours from "arriving home and opening the game" to "logging in and creating my character" went something like this:

I took the disc out of the case, and after trying to open my dvd drive a few times without it working, I remembered I hadn't hooked it up when i got a new power supply in May (not enough of the right plugs). I found the adapter I had bought for the power supply, opened up the computer and installed it.

Then the computer wouldn't recognize there was a disc in the drive. I kept retrying, but finally tried a different disc, which worked fine, so I knew it had to be a problem with the disc. My husband found the disc cleaning goo and cleaned it for me. It had some scratches on it, but now it could be read at least.

So i started the installation and halfway through, it choked on a cyclic redundancy check error. I kept trying and it kept failing. It turns out lots of north americans were having the same issue with defective discs.

Someone from Eminence put the 4.6 GB iso rar file on a server for ls people who might need it, so i started downloading, figuring it would be quicker than torrenting.

Halfway through the down load, when I was about to enter Abyssea, my PC got a BSoD (I think it's my PS3 controller driver acting wonky), so i had to start the download over from the beginning. Hours later, it was nearly complete, and my network crapped out, meaning another restart.

In the meantime, after Abyssea was over, I started looking into torrenting the install ISO. I download utorrent, and start trying one "seed", but it's really not very good - too few people seeding it. So i find another, which has more people, but my download was very slow - it would take a week to get the file.

Then I start reading up on maximizing utorrent speeds, and eventually it's moving at a good clip and seems like it will finish around 6am, so I go to bed at 2:30 after fussing with that crap for hours.

I got up at 6:30, download winrar to unpack the file, which took awhile, then I downloaded virtual clonedrive so I could mount the iso as a virtual drive, and do the installation.

Finally, i can start it up. I just did the official patching, which was quick enough - took about 15 minutes.

It was 8:30 when I could actually start creating my character.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try on picking the "quietest" server Kiki. Just saw the current statistics and Bodhum is actually the second most populated server, after Saronia.

They found us. I don't know how, but they found us!

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5707/ffxivstats09232010.jpg
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made Kiki this morning, it was the second least-populated from the chocobo scale in character creation.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, who knows, things are in still in flux, it could end up being the least populated server a month from now. At any rate, according to that picture, it is still under 4000 people per server.

I already started noticing more lag now than I did when I logged on yesterday. Should be interesting to see what it's like late next week after all the SE people are up and running.
Elboron
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my character, and I went with the same name I used in the beta, Elboron Arnen in Ul'dah.
Vy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play but my computer can't do it. Don't have the opportunity to buy a comp that can do the job so I guess joining you all is not an option.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vy wrote:
I would play but my computer can't do it. Don't have the opportunity to buy a comp that can do the job so I guess joining you all is not an option.

Until March? Smile
Vy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe.
Trow
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the game

Trow Blank

Bodum

Ul' Dah
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROW!!!!
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what server they're actually on these days? I see the server list is smaller than before and Bodhum is no longer an option.

Edit: Googlez tells me Bodhum is now a part of Excalibur.

Edit Edit: Midget is back. Evil!
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis

Last edited by midget on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's probably it. I was gone (again) before the merge. Kiki would be the one to ask. Or log on and see if you can find a "Kiki Tsakiki".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXIV - Final Fantasy Online II All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: