The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rift
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Rift: Planes of Telara
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Rift Reply with quote

So I got into the closed beta for the game Rift.

A sci-fantasy (more fantasy though) MMO that has both PvP and PvE with one major difference from other standard fantasy MMOs: your world is being invaded by denizens of various planes of existance and you have to stop them.

Things that are different:

1.) Thoughout the beta (not sure if the timetables were accelerated) there was constant small rifts that open up and you have to fight your way through multiple stages (akin to WAR's public quests) to seal the rift. There are also times when a group of otherdimensional attackers charge a town or city... and they can take it over. Just because you log out in town, doesn't mean you'll log back into a safe spot.

2.) Class system is an alt-aholic's wet dream. You have 4 different "classes": Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Mage. Each of these have (currently) 8 different "souls" that are basically various sub-classes. Each with their own talent (soul) tree and abilities. Each character will earn 3 different souls WITHIN THE SAME CLASS.

3.) Gaining level doesn't automatically grant new skills... your soul tree decisions do. The more points you put in one soul, the more of that soul's skills you learn.

I can't speak for the tradeskills differences as I was never a huge tradeskill person.

This game is making me look into a new system, it is rather high-end graphics which I'm running on the second lowest setting with (normally) fine results. It's only when full invasions are underway that I start suffering from choppy visuals.

This is a very polished closed beta!

The lore is rather nifty as well if you get desire to read it.

My fear is that, as Tzalik pointed out, this game will fall into oblivion like Warhammer did. x

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read up on this one. Looks interesting, especially the soul thing.

Mythic's PvP system is still tops in the MMORPG world, but they really dropped the ball on not having a completed game when it came out. They purposely put up severe obstacles to prevent players from becoming too overpowered, but that turned away nearly all of the early hardcore players as they didn't know what the heck they were fighting for from a gaming perspective. If you started WAR a year into it, you became more powerful in a month than the best players at launch got in three. Heck, they still only have two of the six cities.

From what I've read, this game doesn't suffer from any of that. However, it may seem to lack that niche you need to get a MMORPG established these days. But it is getting a surprising amount of hype on the blogs, so who knows.

The game that I'm looking into is Earthrise. The combat looks like WAR (but SciFi), and the rest seems to mimic EVE with a sandbox in a single node. Made in Bulgaria, though.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a quick video review of the basics today, definitely looks quite interesting. My only concern I guess is that while the whole Rifts opening randomly at any time thing seems cool right now, I can see it just being a gimmick that inevitably gets old, so I would hope they have a lot more plans in that regard.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that wants in the beta, go here:

Beta keys!

Make an account at the trion page, put that key into your account, and wait for the email inviting you to the beta.

Next event is tomorrow!

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, so happy I got my reinvite! Woohoo!

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty excited to check this out later.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the heads up about this from Resh. Got the Beta invite and downloaded the client last night. I'll be checking this out but not really sure when as I've got my Security + test on Thursday and that's a little more important than a game =P

Let me know what you guys make and where and I'll try to join you all.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzalik and I already have toons on one of the servers, but I can't remember what. We went Defiant (the techno-magic folk who say, "We're not waiting on the gods to fix this, we'll take care of it ourselves")

I'll post it ASAP for those interested... as I'm waiting at my computer for 1pm my time for servers to open up.

Quote:

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUNREST (PVP-RP) - Defiant side

Me = Vilentia
Tzalik = Nautianisha

Quote:

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they sorely underestimated the amount of people wanting to play this game during this event...

Quote:

Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a defiant character on Sunrest and played for 20 minutes or so...

I'm quite impressed, very polished feeling for a beta
And the closest I've gotten to that 'WoW' feel in any of the games I've played since....will have to really spend some time with this one.

I'm playing a Battlemaster/Beastmaster (Arms Warrior with a pet, anyone?)

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played to lvl 7 made a mage (primalist, pyromancer, and something else)

It is really fun so far fuck ton of people on the servers all of them are full or high.

My characters name is Simokon on Sunrest
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the client right now, so will try it later tonight probably.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a Warrior on Sunrest, named Kestana.

I went with...ummm...I don't really remember at this point...was playing for about an hour and then sunrest went down, so I made another toon on a PvE server, but I don't remember which one it was.

That one was a Rogue specialized in Ranger, Saboteur, and Marksman...It's pretty much easy mode with explosives and traps and a pet.

The only thing that I can see being an issue is the Public Quests/Rifts. It was a major rift where there were groups of 8-10 mobs and a boss type running around raping everyone up in here. After there was a pretty big group of people it wasn't bad, but if this game has the player base issues that WAR had, then it'll make everything pretty bad.

Other than that, I'm pretty impressed with the game and the fact that you can AoE loot makes things so much easier in my book. The Graphics are awesome even on the Minimum settings (too many players at some point causing a LOT of graphics lag.)
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my first beta test in the game was incredible. No issues whatsoever. Last night, it was hell. I'm thinking they boosted the numbers by a factor of 'shitload' and stressed the hell out of it.

Had periods of time where I could do nothing if there was an invasion assault where I was at. And LOTS of disconnects.

Quote:

Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at one rift where there was probably 50 other people and it was not to terrible there was some stuttering and things seemed to die before I could even target them but other then that it went alright.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other server that I'm on is Deepwood. Named Balthea over there. I don't care much for PVP servers and RP servers seem to generate a ton more asshats so I may be playing over here for a while.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a Defiant Rogue on Sunrest, name is Alveiah.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed to a mage, I guess I just can't resist the magic users.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to level 11, this game is very promising and quite a bit of fun, I'm really impressed. If anyone's on the fence they should definitely check it out, connected with Mojo earlier, would be cool to get more BEBers playing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Rift: Planes of Telara All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: