The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3DS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: 3DS Reply with quote

Nintendo finally dropped the US Price(250) and Date(March 27th). The high price doesn't bother me too much(although a little). The 3-5 hour batter life does bother me a bit though. It seems like they've forgotten what the DS is for.

I preordered one, even though it seems like they're jumping the gun a tad on the release of this. I'm not sure there are any killer launch titles, which is a shame. Icarus looks like fun, and Zelda is a remake of one of my favorite games ever.

I'm excited to see how the 3D works. A friend who went to E3 dismissed it, but still loved the hardware.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-5 hours sounds awful. Also disappointed that they are sticking with their silly friend code system instead of actual user accounts. I'm interested in one but I intend to wait until they inevitably release a superior model in the next year, because Nintendo is infamous for 10 versions of the same handheld.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still rocking a series one DS. been meaning to get a newer model but they keep coming out with new ones.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
Also disappointed that they are sticking with their silly friend code system instead of actual user accounts.

I didn't see anything yet that specified they'd be using the same 16 digit friend code, although it doesn't surprise me. I did see that they said there'd be one unique id, and it'd be per machine, not per game, which is a huge step forward. If they're smart, they'll make it a friendly name(Lotan) instead of GUID based(16 digit bullshit)

It does look like they made it a little more x-box like in that you can pause a game and check out who is online, etc. I'm really hoping for some messaging/voice chat built in. If they're smart they'll do video chat since the hardware is all there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one on release day along with Street Fighter and Pilot Wings.

A) The 3D is actually pretty awesome. I normally have a hard time with 3D movies, but after an hour or so with this, it seems to work pretty well. It's nice that they included the slider to adjust it and turn it off though because there are a lot of places where you don't want to use it. For example, I was playing on a bumpy train ride, and the jarring tended to screw up the 3d.

B) The two games I got with it are pretty ho-hum. Pilot Wings was a bit boring at first, but it's picking up midway through, so I'll withhold judgement for now. Street Fighter... Maybe I've just moved on past fighting games. It just isn't doing a lot for me. The bundled games, while short, are much more exciting and fun. The Augmented Reality games are awesome, and pretty much everyone I've shown them to, gamer or not has gone absolutely nuts for them.

C) I haven't had battery life issues yet, but I also haven't gone on any long trips.

D) The online stuff doesn't seem complete yet, and I'm assuming it will be updated in a future release. There are, in fact, friend codes, and that blows. I was really hoping for something closer to the 360 in terms of online, and so far I'm disappointed. That being said, I did do a random player match with Street Fighter, and that was still better and more seamless than anything I did on the old DS.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the augmented reality games, it works like this:

The 3DS has a 3D camera on the back, so you place a playing card on the ground, and point the DS at it. The screen sort of becomes a window that you look through, and it uses the card for orientation. The game then draws things out that look like they're there in real life. For example, you place the card on your floor, and when looking through the DS, that spot turns in to a hole in the ground. Out of the hole, a dragon pops out, and you have to shoot it like a first person shooter and kill it.

Right now the AR games are really simple, but it's a neat technology showcase.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any issues with the 3D causing headaches? I was reading an article about that on 1up and it seemed a ton of people commented as having issues. I think I'll skip the 3DS, but the NGP (or whatever Sony ends up calling it) looks to be a must buy for me.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me, which was surprising. I don't know if it's my astigmatism or what, but 3d normally messes with me a little, and after watching something like Avatar, I need a rest. Of course I haven't had any marathon gaming sessions yet, so that probably helps.

A few people who have picked it up have immediately been turned off and said, "It just doesn't work for me", but I think if you give it 10-15 minutes, it would work for most people. Even without the 3D, it's still a nice system.

They've definitely gone "All Nintendo" on the thing, which doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it will bother some people. It has a built in pedometer. Every 100 steps you take with it gives you a "Play Coin" which you can use in a few games to unlock random bullshit. In AR games you can unlock new levels In the built in RPG you can unlock characters, and in Street Fighter you can unlock trophies I think. I believe in Nintendogs it's used to "walk" your dog.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price dropped to 170. I wasn't expecting that quite yet, but it doesn't seem to be selling well so far. Maybe instead of a price drop they should have considered making some games for it Eh...
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/28/nintendo-3ds-price-drops-from-249-to-169-august-12th-current/

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another virual boy.

I can see how it would be unplayable in the car for kids.

I'm thinking about getting a dsi xl for xmas.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's plenty playable in the car. Remember, you can turn the 3D off.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle comicon is literally a block from my house. I walked by outside and got all of the street passes.

All of them.

Also, Icarus = one of the best games ever for the Wii, if they hadn't fucked up and put it on the 3DS. It's a great game that was made mediocre by the shitty control scheme.

Oh well.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any interest in the 3DS XL?

Due to the iphone and android I think sony will be done with a handheld system after the vita and nintendo may try one more attempt. Then we will not see dedicated handheld video game systems anymore.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to get a 3DS XL just because I have so much disposable income from playing Diablo 3 I don't know what to do with it.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the second analog stick? Seems odd they didn't add that to the new model.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving Luigi's Mansion so far.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Nintendo? This is your new idea?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds-handheld-gaming-system-129-on-october-1/

Nintendo announces 2DS handheld gaming system, $129 on October 12
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing at first...

Someone on reddit pointed out:

Nintendo doesn't recommend 3d for those under 7.
The hinge is the spot most likely to break on repeated droppings.
Pokemon comes out at the same time.

It's not as bad an idea as it seems. It's just not targeted at you.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son wants a 3DS for his fifth birthday. I would have considered the 2DS, but it looks unwieldy, especially for small hands. The thing doesn't fold or bend. It actually only has one screen separated by plastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: