The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The End of The Internet as we Know It?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the RIAA and MPAA want to shut down YOUTUBE.

From the articles I read on SOPA if there is a copyright infringing video on your site that gets 10 hits then they can shut you down.

There are tons of copyright infringing videos on youtube that never get taken down.

The RIAA and MPAA can use this to close youtube.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, have you even bothered to read the legislation, Exzavier?
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how close this is to reality, but a blogger that I frequent (Skepchick) said this was a good intro.

Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rate it as about a B for accuracy. Some of the stuff that is mentioned isn't necessarily a specific part of the bill but falls under "likely unintended consequences".
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Just out of curiosity, have you even bothered to read the legislation, Exzavier?

I think I got confused with this bill:

Bill S.978
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bill S.978 or the Commercial Felony Streaming Act is a bill that is pending introduction to the United States Senate floor. It was proposed by Amy Klobuchar, Chris Coons, and John Cornyn on May 12, 2011.[1] It is an amendment to US Code Title 18 Section 2319, that would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted material for the purpose of "commercial advantage or personal financial gain", a felony (under current law, unauthorized streaming is only a misdemeanor). The penalty could include up to five years of prison-time. It defines illegal streaming as streaming ten or more times in a 180 day period. Furthermore, the value of the illegally streamed material would have to be greater than $2,500, or the licensing fees would have to be over $5,000.
Several articles have been published, expressing concern as to whether the bill would affect those who stream or post videos of copyrighted content (videogames, TV shows, music) on public sites such as YouTube. The bill does not directly address this aspect.[2] Although it is unknown whether the law would be enforced as such, there has been an outcry with several negative reactions against the bill on YouTube, and other websites.[3]
Both Klobuchar and Coons have stated that the bill is not intended to affect the aforementioned aspects, instead it would only target websites or people who profit from illegally streaming copyrighted material.[4][5]
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Google-Steps-Into-Georgia-Broadband-Fight-118270

Why should existing ISPs determine if communities can open there own broadband network. That is insane.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not insane at all -- it's ruthless business. What it is, however, is likely illegal, as in anti-trust illegal. I wanna see this one decided by the Supreme Court.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see it decided by a battle of wits involving wine and iocaine powder.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the damn "Like" or "+1" button on this thing.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Where is the damn "Like" or "+1" button on this thing.

I think this every day, almost.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Minnesota-Wants-to-be-a-Broadband-Backwater-118728

Minnesota is the latest state that has decided to try and pass such a law, but they're not being subtle about it. HF 2695 is an outright ban on community broadband that strips communities in the state of their right to determine what's best for their own infrastructure.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/uk-anti-piracy-law-gets-green-light-as-bt-and-talktalk-lose-appeal-50007237/?

A warning letter could be about to hit your doormat if you're suspected of pirating movies and music, as the last appeal by broadband providers against the Digital Economy Act has been thrown out today.

Internet service providers BT and TalkTalk lost their appeal today against the legislation, designed to prevent Web users from infringing copyright. The legal road is now clear for the law to instruct ISPs to send warning letters to customers suspected of sharing copyrighted material such as movies, music and software.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Our-National-Broadband-Map-Remains-Largely-Useless-118702

This map did nothing to help improve broadband in the US.

In February of last year the government released our first ever broadband map (available here) after spending roughly $300 million on the project. Our readers by and large were unimpressed, noting the map didn't list prices, and often reported non-existent competitors and unavailable speeds in many markets. Many of these shortcomings are due to carriers, who have fought for the last decade to keep price comparison and deployment data out of the hands of consumers.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/03/dangerously-vague-cybersecurity-legislation

There is a spate of proposed cybersecurity legislation working its way through the House and Senate. The bills are aimed primarily at facilitating cooperation regarding so-called “cybersecurity” issues among different branches of government as well as between government and the private sector. The bills range from being downright terrible to appropriately intentioned, yet they all suffer from the fundamental inability to clearly define the threats which are being defended against and the countermeasures that can be taken against those threats. Without good definitions and an emphasis on transparency, we cannot be certain that government entities and corporations will refrain from abusing their power, interpreting the definitions in the statute expansively, and infringing on civil liberties. Below we provide some pitfalls of broad definitions, with a separate legal analysis forthcoming.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Netflix-Latest-Company-to-Laugh-at-Your-Legal-Rights-118899

These Terms of Use provide that all disputes between you and Netflix will be resolved by BINDING ARBITRATION. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract (except for matters that may be taken to small claims court). Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury and your claims cannot be brought as a class action.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was discussing this with a friend last night and I want to see if anyone agrees.

In the future of the internet I see VPN Intranets.

For example, someone may start a liberal VPN with 256 or 512 bit encryption with an intranet with websites and forums for people to discuss ideas without the scrutiny of others and the government. The websites and forums would be internal to that VPN intranet.

Now the question is:

Is that legal?

and

Would the government requite access to it, or could you keep them off?
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any law preventing citizens from using encryption. It's seems reasonable to me that a party to the conversation/data might be required by a subpoena to provide the key or decrypted data. One measure would be to host the servers offshore in a country that would not cooperate with the U.S. government, but if the users are in jurisdiction that creates a lot of openings. If this board were encrypted, for example, they only need to get one user to fold in order to see most of the contents. Or for one user to have files or a key on their hard drive, etc.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, for something large scale like that, how would you vet someone as not a mole?

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the hard part. You would start with leaders of left or right wing causes and they would be allowed to only invite people they know in person to come on the network.

But yes, someone could be a mole or flip on everyone.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
and they would be allowed to only invite people they know in person

Undercover agents. Hell, the government has infiltrated all kinds of peaceful movements, they would definitely want in on something like that, and it would't be hard to do.

Fucking act like it.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Arizona-Tries-to-Scrub-Entire-Internet-Clean-119076

Arizona House Bill 2549 would make it a crime to communicate via electronic networks using speech that is intended to "annoy," "offend," "harass" or "terrify," a move that would censor 90% of the Internet right off the bat.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CISPA-Rises-From-SOPAs-Ashes-119178

With SOPA dead (for now), the entertainment industry is busy trying to bully through their dream legislation via several fairly awful "cybersecurity bills," which like so many bills try foist terrible requirements on carriers through fear. The most troubling of these new bills is CISPA, or the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, which would allow companies to spy on Internet users and collect and share this data with third-party companies or Government agencies. All that's needed is to claim that the collection is related to "cybersecurity" threats, and by keeping the term vague enough -- you can effectively include anything.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two kind of big stories right now:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-to-Kill-Grandfathered-Unlimited-Plans-119550

Those customers will be pushed toward the company's upcoming "data share" wireless data plan (aka family plans, or pooled data plans) that will allows users to connect multiple household users or devices under one plan. It's an idea that's absurdly overdue, but it may arrive with quite a pricing punch.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Denies-Own-Traffic-Prioritization-119543

Complicating the situation was recent "proof" by several different individuals claiming that Comcast was specifically prioritizing their own streaming services over that of their competitors. You can find the broadest technical exploration of the claim here by MixMedia CTO Bryan Berg, who says he has proven that Comcast is busily playing favorites:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: