The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The End of The Internet as we Know It?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the internet connection speed everyone Should have:

http://www.uproxx.com/technology/2012/11/google-fibers-real-world-speed-700-mbps/
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meeting about the future of the internet and who controls the internet have been going on the past weeks:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/house-passes-unanimous-resolution-ban-UN-internet-regulation/
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government will never let this app happen - http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/04/silent-circle-encryption-app-mobile-privacy/

If CEO Mike Janke's boasts are to be believed, his company Silent Circle and its eponymous encryption apps could stand to "revolutionize... privacy and security." And he's willing to push the tech forward at all costs, even if that means raising the ire of the federal government. While the feds have yet to officially weigh in on his startup's novel software -- and Janke's certain they will -- others who've tested the peer-to-peer service's new Silent Text app claim its benefits for human rights activism worldwide far outweigh its potential use as a criminal aid.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U.S. government almost never interferes with anything of this nature. It isn't beneficial for them or anyone else for them to do so, and it isn't necessary. Quite the contrary, actually. Not only will they do nothing about it, they will pay close attention to the technology in order to improve their own. And most importantly, you can be sure they will develop countermeasures. The folks on Uncle Sam's payroll are capable of some frighteningly brilliant things, and most likely they will get someone on the inside anyway. And a lot of the time, they already do. Sometimes these guys are just a front for government operations in the first place.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly - WTF! How do bills like this happen?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Windstream-ATT-Aim-to-Keep-Georgia-at-15-Mbps-123127

A new bill is being proposed in Georgia that would ban towns and cities from deploying their own broadband -- if there's at least one person with a 1.5 Mbps downstream connection anywhere in a census block.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Articles

IRS, Like Rest of Government, Thinks Warrants Are Silly
FOIA Data Suggests IRS Snoops Your E-mail Without Them

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/IRS-Like-Rest-of-Government-Thinks-Warrants-Are-Silly-123827

CBS Joins Fox in Empty Threats, Pouting Over Aereo
Earlier this week News Corporation threatened to stop broadcasting Fox over the air and place the channel on subscription cable if they lose their legal battle against Aereo
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/CBS-Joins-Fox-in-Empty-Threats-Pouting-Over-Aereo-123817
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Gbps Internet in Japan! Only $51/mo.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sony-Offers-2-Gbps-Broadband-in-JapanFor-51-123896

While we all lust over 1 Gbps connections most of us can't get, Sony-run Japanese ISP So-net Entertainment this week pushed the residential needle to 2 Gbps in Japan. The speedy service is named "Nuro," and will cost 4,980 yen ($51) per month, providing Japanese customers with 2 Gbps downstream and 1 Gbps upstream. The service requires users sign a two-year contract and pay a 52,500 yen ($539) installation fee -- which the company says they're waiving if users order the service online. The Nuro service is being offered primarily to smaller apartment complexes in Chiba, Gunma, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Tokyo, Kanagawa and Saitama.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has a > 1 gb adapter/switch in a device to use that?

My connection at work is definitely capped by my 1gb switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a 2Gbps connection certainly does not mean you will actually transfer at 2Gbps. Just a 1Gbps adapter/switch/router would be fine, I should think.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google fiber going to Utah too, however Utah already had the fiber Utopia network and it seems google is buying that.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Google-Fiber-Coming-to-Provo-Utah-123915

A company called Wicked Broadband is also going to offer 1Gbps in Kansas.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Kansas-Getting-Another-1-Gbps-Provider-123920
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Scary!!!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Obama-Set-to-Back-Fines-for-ISPs-Who-Fight-Backdoor-Wiretaps-124163

" As I've been discussing, law enforcement and intelligence agencies are making a strong new push to mandate backdoors in e-mail, cloud storage services, social networking websites and other encrypted services to make real-time wiretapping easier. As part of this effort to overhaul CALEA, the DOJ has even gone so far as to propose that ISPs be fined for failure to comply. "
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need better net neutrality laws.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Unsurprisingly-Loves-ATTs-Awful-1800-Data-Idea-124417

Early last year we noted that AT&T, the company that really started the network neutrality debate to begin with, had come up with yet another awful new idea: charging app makers a fee if they wanted to send data to consumers without impacting their usage caps. While AT&T presented the idea as akin to a 1-800 number for data or "free shipping," what it actually is a troll toll imposed by AT&T allowing them to rake in new cash -- and impose their power on a content ecosystem and app marketplace that operates better with companies like AT&T out of the way.

Under AT&T's dream model, a company like ESPN pays carriers and gets premier listing for their "cap free" content. If smaller companies can't pay -- too bad. ESPN gets premiere listing, their content gets "prioritized" and highlighted in a different way, and you wind up paying more money either way. AT&T and Verizon avoid dumb pipe status, and inject themselves for power's sake into an already healthy content and app ecosystem. Any content company or consumer that can't see this is a bad idea hasn't been paying close enough attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: