The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Of Thrones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Game Of Thrones Reply with quote

Looks to be a fantasy fan's wet dream:

preview

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a preview of it the other day, with more background info. The story revolves around several different "Kingdoms" and a group of individuals who protect the boundary with the "monsters" to the north.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Trow
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's based on the Song of Ice and Fire books by G.R.R. Martin. They're a great read, 5th book should be out sometime this summer. I can't wait to see if they do the books justice. The story is very messed up, so it will fit right in with most of the HBO series.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent first episode.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard people at work mention the book series a few times over the years, but it wasn't until my husband sent me a kindle sample for the first book in November that I actually started reading it. I love the series and bought each book as soon as I finished the one before it (love the kindle for immediate book fixes). I have really been looking forward to the HBO series.

I love the complex characters, the unexpected twists, the unconventional plot devices, the strong female characters, but one NY Times reviewer seems to think women can only like it for the sex scenes... Rolling Eyes

NY Times review

George R R Martin's blog response

Female blogger's reaction
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series puts up an age barrier by pointlessly throwing in graphic nudity. My theory is the person who makes these kinds of decisions at HBO constantly needs new stuff to masterbate to.

Quote:
The true perversion, though, is the sense you get that all of this illicitness has been tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise.

Wait, women like rape? I've been living a lie.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess girls also like the sound of one man giving the other head.

But the show itself has turned around and has been awesome. I now like to think the producers are elitist hipsters who want to eliminate large sections of their audience one raunchy scene at a time in order to maintain their coolness.

Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss some subtext somewhere or a whole chapter that made Renly and Loras into gay lovers?
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzai_Kitty wrote:
Did I miss some subtext somewhere or a whole chapter that made Renly and Loras into gay lovers?

No, you didn't miss a chapter, but there is a lot of subtext. They seem to have taken the hints over the course of the books and made up a scene to make it obvious.

I am currently rereading the book, and noted there was one early reference that used the phrase "more than passing queer" in reference to Renly where the context implies the original sense of queer as in odd, but it did make me snort while reading it on the train.

Thanks to my kindle, here's the passage:

Quote:
Could it b that Lord Renly, who looked so like a young Robert, had conceived a passion for a girl he fancied to be a young Lyanna? That struck him as more than passing queer.

This was after Renly had shown Ned a locket with a picture of Loras's sister and asked anxiously if she reminded Ned of anyone.

I'm still really liking this adaptation immensely.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the books aren't NC-17?

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chowda wrote:
...by pointlessly throwing in graphic nudity.

Graphic nudity is never pointless.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
chowda wrote:
...by pointlessly throwing in graphic nudity.

Graphic nudity is never pointless.

It increases ratings.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the nudity/sex should be at least as graphic, if not more so than the violence, assuming that it fits within the story line.

It has always bothered me that, in American culture, it is far more acceptable to show someone getting killed/maimed/hurt than to show nudity or sexual acts.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to see more boobies.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One and a Half Man
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an adult series anyway, nudity wouldn't change that. I just finished the 4th book. This series is really good but sometimes it's like curling up with a swift kick in the stomach.

Awesome link Banzai.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party, but i finished the first book and about halfway into the second. Good series, looking forward to seeing HBO series now.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally watched the first episode, with the girlfriend. I was hoping it would be something that we could watch together but she didn't really enjoy it. I thought it was well done but will probably wait to watch any of the other episodes because I would much rather read the books, of which I'm currently on the third.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third has been my favorite so far.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a few more episodes. The TV show definitely moves much, much faster than the books. Also, the show misses a ton of the intrigue and detail that exists in the books.

edit: Just watched the 4th one. Definitely more like watching the cliffs notes than an epic novel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: