The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round 2 Thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXIV - Final Fantasy Online II
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Round 2 Thoughts Reply with quote

Anyone out there still care? It is the one-year anniversary of FFXIV and for the last couple weeks I have been giving the game another go. Here are my thoughts.

The Good

UI improvements. Mostly noticeable in crafting where I spent most of time (both times around). Before to craft we had about 4 or 5 unnecessary windows. Every synth required selecting all ingredients manually (through an unsorted item menu). Now the game not only has a sort feature finally, but it allows you to pick synths from your last few synths. Might seem like a small change, but it makes crafting a lot more playable.

Wards - They are better. I still like the idea of not having an auction house (I am in the minority). I just feel a full AH would lead to crafting being an unprofitable endeavor, as it pretty much was in XI. With a limited amount of searching, it is now possible to find what you are looking for - still no where as quick as a full auction house. You can see what character is selling what item and in which of the ward zones, but you still have to go find that character manually.

Auto-attack - A lot of people seem to dislike this, but I found it to be more playable than it was before.

Quests - The game originally didn't have any quests. Now it does. Most are pretty much just fetch quests, but there are some improvements over XI. Exclamation points will appear over NPCs that will offer you quests, your journal will show where on your map you need to go and completed quests will remain in your journal. There are also daily guild quests that give decent rewards (up to 100 shards and some gil).

Repair Changes - Before repairs were incredibly annoying. Your underwear (and the rest of your gear) was in constant need of repairs. Now, repairs are quicker and easier and all use generic "dark matter" to be repaired. Items seem to degrade much slower and underwear no longer needs to be repaired at all. In the next update NPCs will repair any gear item up to 99% for a small amount of gil. You still need a crafter to repair it to 100% if you want to sell it.

The Bad

Lag - It is a LOT better than before, but it is still pretty bad. Commands will often execute seconds after you select them. Talking to NPCs and retainers still have annoying lags before menus pop up or disappear.

Very few and bland zones - Sure the graphics are still pretty, but the zones are still consisted of large copy/paste sections repeated over and over. All three major cities are still all just one (large) zone apart. It just doesn't feel like a world in the way XI did.

Linkshell Management - There basically is none. I don't know why they couldn't start where XI was and improve from there. To this day, your linkshell members list, lists the members in the order they joined the shell, offline or online. You can't remove inactive members from the shell, making most just a long list of grey names of players that quit shortly after release. The rest are just names - no class/job, level/rank or even what zone they are in.

No one plays - I don't know how many people are still playing this game. SE removed the feature that let you see how many people were logged on at any time, for obvious reasons. It isn't many. Everyone hangs out in Ul'dah. Every day I play I see the same few people. Most of these people really seem to want to "rule" the game, and are on pretty much all the time as far as I can tell. They also have names like "Hardcore Maniac" and "Envied One".

No party search - Technically there is some sort of party search feature. I don't know how it works and, as far as I can tell, no one else does either. You can't just throw up a flag to look for a party nor can you search for anyone seeking for a party. Right now the only way to find a party is to do it with linkshell members or listen for shouts in Ul'dah.

There are also lots of little things wrong with the game. For example, when you run up or down slopes your name and character shake violently and is pretty distracting.

Some of the new updates look promising. I don't agree with Kiki that the players playing are mostly pleased with the game. I still get the feeling that most are pretty unimpressed. Most people I have talked to in my new linkshell seem to have a "get-it-together-or-I'm-out-SE" date. Some say they'll wait for 1.21 patch to either be wowed, or they're done.

I'm going to try to keep playing, but more at a casual rate. It just doesn't have that XI-feel where I want to play during all my free time. Luckily the game still allows you to make progress in a short amount of times, by doing leve quests, etc. I usually find myself having fun for about an hour and after that I quickly get the "ok, this is getting boring fast" feeling shortly there after.

I guess I'll just say this. The improvements so far (and those announced to come soon) are enough for me to enjoy playing in short bursts, but not enough for me to be distracted from upcoming games like Dark Souls, Skyrim and Uncharted 3.
Fuzzlewhack
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on pretty much all counts. I'd add that Anima needs to go the way of the dodo, but Chocobos and Airships may alleviate that issue. I haven't played in a few days, not for lack of interest, but for lack of Anima. Sad

Good bit of news, though: we're getting 100 additional inventory spaces per character and an additional 50 inventory spaces per Retainer, for a grand total of 530 inventory spaces (bazaars included):
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/24201?p=346758#post346758
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/37475/Square_Enix_Final_Fantasy_XIV_Greatly_Damaged_Entire_Brand.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that. That's pretty funny.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiki, I quit again. The MMO thing is just getting boring quickly lately.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see you go. Figured you'd burnt out again when you disappeared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXIV - Final Fantasy Online II All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: