The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skyrim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like you'll see a fix for the PS3 issues any time soon, if ever:

http://kotaku.com/5865381/trying-to-explain-skyrims-awful-ps3-lag
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Bethesda has already refuted those claims made from Obsidian. They say that Obsidian doesn't know how this new engine works and that it was made to avoid that issue.

The problem is they HAVE to say that. If they agree and say the game won't be fixed not only will no one else buy a PS3 copy of the game, but every one who has will demand their money back. They longer they push it off, the more likely people will just "let it go", like they did when large New Vegas and Fallout 3 games had the same problem.

The other problem with claiming they made this new engine so it wouldn't have this problem is.... wait for it.... it DOES have the same problems as the other games did. The only difference is, this time, it actually seems worse.

So, I agree with you, I doubt this ever gets fixed, but I really hope I'm wrong because even with all its quirks the game is a ton of fun to play.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tired of all the freezes, so i just did the rest of the main story. I'll finish other things up after a few patches. On to play Zelda.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
Back-pedalling against a sabre-cat really doesn't work that well, he will catch you and maul you.

Best way to fight beasts jumping you in the wild is with the Kyne's Peace shout, which makes them instantly docile, you get it pretty early in the game if you do a few of the Dovahkiin quests.

I prefer backpedaling combined with timing a sidestep when they leap. They can't change direction or orientation in mid-air. Once you finish the first trip to the Greybeards, you can use Whirlwind Step to get better position once or twice a fight.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your playtime when you stopped Yob? I'm nearing 70 hours and scared it is almost to the point where I need to throw in the towel. I've still barely scratched the surface. I really don't want to have to quit, but I also don't want to start over or re-purchase the game for PC.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC game ftw. I have the occasional program crash to desktop, but I am a game save whore, so I do a full save at the beginning of the dungeon and quick save after every fight. If it's a long dungeon (dwarf dungeons, Blackreach, etc), I make full saves every 10 to 15 mins as well. I have probably 200 save files on my machine right now. Laughing
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just so you guys know, 99% spell reduction for Destruction spells is funtimes. My enchanting is only at 93 at the moment, so I'm sure with just a little bit more work I can get it down to 100% reduction.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had over a 100 hours last i looked. my save file is up near 20 MB and i don't have any terrible frame rate shutter. It is slower than when i started, but not bad at all. The patch helped the frame rate a lot, but broke my bookcases and i can't look at the controller while it saves or autosaves because it will lock up. Then about half the time it still does.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I don't have too many issues with saving (I've had a couple), but my framerate is horrible. My save file right now is only around 8 MB.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but are there any enchanted 1-handed swords out there? I have seen 3... and I made 2 of them. Makes me wish I hadn't put 2 of my points into the sword spec. But it's nice to occasionally one-shot a nasty with a decap.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I get to nit-pick Skyrim. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but there's a couple of things I'd love to see implemented into it.

First off, I'd love a hardcore mode like we got with New Vegas. To actually have to eat and sleep in order to survive. New Vegas' challenge was scarcity, ideally never knowing when you were going to find water again to make trekking through a post-apocalyptic desert more realistic. In game it turned out to be plenty of food and water if you knew where to look, so you never had to drink out of that irradiated toilet just to survive to the next area. Skyrim has plenty of food, but it's just so useless. Yeah, you can cook it and it revives a tiny amount of health, but why would you bother? You automatically regain health and if that's not fast enough for you, there's healing potions and spells to do that for you. I've cooked food exactly once, to get the achievement.

My other complaint is lack of variety compared to the older games. Morrowind let put together a very elaborate suit of armor, gauntlets, greaves, pauldrons. It was was pretty cool to start with nothing and piece together your armor as the game progressed. When Oblivion came out, not only did it feel like they nerfed the interface for consoles, they took away some of the variety. Pauldrons were gone, boots and helmets always came in pairs, some armor and weapons classes disappeared. They did it again with Skyrim, now greaves are gone and more weaopn classes have been consolidated; spell classes, too. the way the trend is going, in a couple of games, the graphics will look damn near real life, but you'll be fighting with a "weapon" while wearing "armor" and casting "magic." Skyrim's a great game, I just wish they went back to Morrowind's variety.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your just unlucky Mojo. I had a hard time finding daggers in my game, so i made some.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First off, I'd love a hardcore mode like we got with New Vegas.

This is a very common request, expect it to be modded when the CK is released.

Quote:
Yeah, you can cook it and it revives a tiny amount of health, but why would you bother?

There are some foods that aren't TOO bad, especially if you are a caster for the magicka regenning food, but you're right, in general food is pretty useless and can be ignored with no noticeable loss, that bothered me too.

Quote:
the way the trend is going, in a couple of games, the graphics will look damn near real life, but you'll be fighting with a "weapon" while wearing "armor" and casting "magic."

I understand your second complaint, I don't necessarily feel it's bad game design, it's more of an opinion depending on where you stand with it, but this statement is obvious exaggeration, don't be silly. There's plenty of options for spells, the only change to reduce variety in that department was lack of the ability to create your own spells.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but are there any enchanted 1-handed swords out there? I have seen 3... and I made 2 of them. Makes me wish I hadn't put 2 of my points into the sword spec. But it's nice to occasionally one-shot a nasty with a decap.

Enchanting weapons aren't always the best choice, there is a shout called Elemental Fury which "enchants" your weapons to make you swing at lightning fast speeds, but has no effect if your weapon is already enchanted.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go with a conjured sword. I don't carry a real bow and archery is my primary weapon skill.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spellmaker was always a neat part of the series, I for one am mighty disappointed to see it gone. They have been pretty annoying with their simplifications in certain areas since Oblivion. I am happy I don't feel that way about the leveling system.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spellmaker was always a neat part of the series, I for one am mighty disappointed to see it gone.

To be honest I never got into the other TES games, but from what I've heard about it, I understand why people miss it.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggerfall had the best one for my money. It had the greatest variety of effects, and you could make some truly beastly effects. Morrowind's was great, but slightly less options. Their reasons for not including spellmaker in Skyrim make about as much sense to me as why they decided to rip the very soul out of the Fallout series(the humor and post-apocalypse pop culture references).
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they decided to rip the very soul out of the Fallout series(the humor and post-apocalypse pop culture references).

And then there was Borderlands.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finished the core of Skyrim... I was around 34 when I heard that the core was setup for around 25-35. I'm quite happy with it! I love shields... that is all.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spell shield or physical shield?
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: