The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guild Wars 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Guild Wars 2 Reply with quote

Finally getting a chance to play this game this weekend. I just hope I actually get a chance to play it.

On the upside, this will be the beta event where the NDA is lifted (not that it seemed to have stopped others from posting tons of videos about it).

For those interested in the game, this YouTube channel has alot of good info about the game.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to play this this weekend, but it's Tera head start weekend. I will be waiting for word from you dudes on your impressions before I start taking it more seriously again at this point.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really an "open" beta? I haven't been able to find any kind of sign-up/client download, and have seen things suggesting it's only for people already in the beta and pre-orders.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beta by invite unless you pre-ordered the game... which I did.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the NDA is lifted (not that it seemed to have stopped others from posting tons of videos about it).

The NDA was always lifted for the press, who have been about 90% of the only people who've been in beta up to this point. The last beta had an NDA for all non-press that got invited.
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing this weekend loving it so far pve not really a faceroll like most games I have played which is a nice change. Smile
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I need to do something with my settings beyond maxxing performance. When there are a decent number of people on the screen, my junk is ROUGH. Like 10 FPS if I'm lucky.

Quote:

Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something pretty much EVERYONE is experiencing, Mojo, even with beast machines. The effects and whatnot just wreck performance, they have a lot of optimization to do, and/or toning down effects when there are lots of them so it isn't so 4th of July.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anyone have invites for the Beta to give out?
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know no one can do that except people who work for the company, it's a completely closed beta, if you want access you have to buy the game.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system, while not top of the line, is no slouch. It far exceeds any of the requirements for the game. HOWEVER, the build they put out for this weekend made my system appear like an Atari 2600 trying to play this game! In the starting area, I was fine (after immediately having to drop to minimum for EVERTHING except resolution in the graphics department) until I ran into an area where there were more than 10 players nearby. Then my framerate would drop from about 30 (which is bad enough for starters) down to about 5 and the game literally was unplayable.

I hope to hell that their next beta has an optimized build being used as this was an atrocity. In fact, I'd have to say their minimum requirements listed wouldn't even start the game, much less play it.

That being said, when I did get to play it, I really enjoyed testing out the classes to see which would be fun for me. The mobile combat does take some getting used to, as I wasn't an avid PvPer in other MMOs. Just trying to figure out what all the different main-hand/off-hand combo skills were took a bit of work, but was rewarding in finding out what single player combos worked best. If my machine (and this build) could have handled it, it would have been nice to see what cross-profession combos would have been fun.

There were three things about the game that really bugged me though.

First was the inability to use Alt+, CTRL+, Shift+key for keybindings in-game. In fact, I had to make another mode for my Nostromo that utilizes the F1-F4 and and change my 'Alt' button to a 'Mode Change' button in order to make a comfortable setup.

Second was that utilizing an ability on a selected target that is out of range will still allow that ability to go off (uselessly) and put if on cooldown. Now, I can see the reason for this disappointing feature when it comes to PvP, as the game no longer becomes a "spam my skill until in range" and use of skills is a bit more tactical. It tends to piss me off when I use my 30 sec ability on something that was just out of range and now I've gotta wait for it to return. This is something I can get over, but it's annoying for now.

Thirdly, and this was something that both Rift and SWTOR have pampered me with, area affect looting. Why isn't this standard (or even an option) in EVERYTHING game now?!

Quote:

Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even WoW is implementing area looting in the new expansion. Get with the program, GW2...
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the next Beta (a stress test) came and went with absolutely no e-mail notification or website update saying one was coming. So, unfortunately for me, I didn't get a chance to see if they made any changes. So, I'm pretty much giving up any chance that this game will be fixed up such that their quoted minimum specs could possibly run the game and therefor no chance for the performance on my machine to improve either.

That said, I'm going to contact Customer Service and see if I can't get a refund on a product I can't reasonably run (despite having well above minimun specs). Two problems have made this difficult:

1 - I can't find any real way to talk with Customer Service outside of submitting a question via computer. Would so much like to talk to a person... silly my.

2 - I apparently pre-purchased the game and not pre-ordered which is apparently a huge difference. Blah blah blah.

I have heard that I could contact my bank and dispute the charges as I have no product yet, but I'd like to prevent doing anything underhanded until I get word from them.

Quote:

Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well shit I wish I knew there was a beta weekend!

Sorry your computer can't really handle it either, the only time I was getting any lag was in the wvwvw area but I guess that is to be expected when there are a hundred people in a small area.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this weekend went much better than my first. I'm guessing they did some optimization because my system could actually run it functionally. I did, however, put my original video card into the other PCI-E slot and it appears to be working like a champ... so I'm not sure if it's a card or slot issue. ANYWAY:

I could spend forever trying to figure out what combinations, Healing and Utility combinations for each character class. The rogue was a pain as the 3rd ability would change based on what offhand you used as well.

Thus far, I'm in love with the Guardian and Mesmer with Rogues coming up close behind. My only problem is that I have yet to get into a real group for anything. And with the tossing out of the "holy trinity", I would like to see how well my Guardian would perform in a group. Solo, I do fine as long as I remember to be mobile from time to time.

Mesmers are very interesting to play, but I only touched on them near the end. I would hate to PvP against one (or would that be 4) of them.

Speaking off, I did jump into a WvWvW event (I think) and went to the battleground. I believe (didn't check to be sure) that each of the battleground zones is connected to the others. Basically you can bring up the map and it shows you all 4 battle "zones" and they are quite large individually.

Not sure how I feel about the crafting yet. Starting touching on it and the resource requirements seem to be fairly massive. Here's an example. In order to make a Sword, you'll need to first make a hilt and then a blade. The hilt might require 1 bronze ingot to make. No problem! Only a bronze ingot requires 10 copper ore and 1 tin ore (which you buy from the vendor). Copper nodes only produce 3 ore with a basic pick (there are varying grades of harvesting utensils that perform better of course). You can also get resources from from salvaging other equipment and other looted items (small saddlebags, stolen goods, etc.)

I have one problem with their freemium thing though, so far. Mystic chests. Sometimes you find one and they require a Mystic Key to open, which is only bought (from what I've seen) on the online store for real money. Luckily, you can sometimes get a key from opening a Mystic Chest... for all the good that does. On the flip side, I have yet to get anything besides potions that make your character become a monster (kind of like the Halloween wands from WoW), some boost to either XP, Karma, a stat, etc. So they don't appear to be all that required to get. I've gone though 10 chests and not gotten an item aside from those I just mentioned.

Quote:

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us playing, has any decision been made about server selection?

Quote:

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone else planning on playing? If so, I'm curious about World Selection. Apparently (and I'm not quite happy about this) the first server you choose will be forever the one you use unless you play for a world transfer.

SO... seeing as I've got no one I know of playing outside of us, I'm willing to go where ever. Just trying to get some info.

Quote:

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw it... I'm going to Borlis Pass.

Quote:

Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repost from Reddit, but I have to say, I approve:

http://i.imgur.com/FdCz5.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they still on the same fee structure as the first one (buy the software only, no monthly fee)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: