The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Expansion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised in October when I got to the point where I "needed a week-long break" from FFXI and the week turned into two, then three, then I actually deactivated my account at the end of November. I am still surprised that I have some bitter, angry feelings about FFXI (except when I recall the good old days before our static completed CoP). I just can't get excited about any of the updates or expansions they've announced, and frankly I never liked using geomancer in any of the other FF games.

A lot of my burnout from XI was my fault for getting too entrenched in end game stuff, especially after becoming a sackholder in my EGLS, and being so overscheduled that it was worse than having a second job. Add into that the stupid mechanics they started adding to make fights more "difficult" (VWNM, I'm looking at you) were just extremely frustrating as a PLD. Nothing like spending years of your life pimping out your character with awesome gear just to get encumbered for 60 seconds and stand there bare naked, punching the monsters in the snout (or knees in Kiki's case) with bare fists, waiting for the inevitable deathblow and being swapped out for another tank. And don't even mantion hate-resets.

The need for 1500 Heavy Metal Plates to upgrade my Ochain from level 90 to 95 probably was the final straw, since I managed to get 3 in a month of actively trying to get them...

I think Tsakiki will forever be sitting at Blueblade Fell (where Grymalkyn is also sitting), though I made sure she had a scroll of instant warp on her before I /shutdown for the last time.

On the other hand, I've really been enjoying FFXIV. It's been extremely interesting playing the game through its resurrection phase, and the changes they have been making are tremendous. It's too bad that most of the people who hated it so much at launch nearly two years ago will never give it a second chance.

There are a few things that annoy me - such as Bard being the job tied to the Archer class. I really love playing Archer and groups insist on Bard instead. It's not as bad as Bard in XI, since I can only put one song on people, and there are only 3 songs for battles, so there is plenty of time to shoot arrows, but I would rather be focused on damage instead of support. Bard does have an awesome exclusive weaponskill though, which almost makes up for losing DD abilities from the other disciplines of war.

I do miss you guys and the good old days in FFXI though. Sad
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's too bad that most of the people who hated it so much at launch nearly two years ago will never give it a second chance.

It would have to be, quite literally, an entirely different game.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was already a lot better than when I left. But it just too much of time sink, even if it doesn't compare to the old FFXI in that regard. XIV does do a lot of things better than XI did. Ultimately I decided it wasn't enough to justify playing it instead of all the other good games around as I have shown I am unable to multi-task and enjoy an MMO and offline games at the same time.

I agree with Midget that it is a little odd they are putting a lot of resources into FFXI. On one hand it makes sense because it is still a profitable game. But on the other hand a lot of FFXIV's success is dependent on recruiting the XI's players both current and retired.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Splinte - thanks for the rundown, it's certainly very tempting. I'm not sure I could dig up my character, though, and starting from scratch is most definitely a deal breaker. I'd be hesitant even without starting over. Sad
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been about 6 months since I stopped playing WoW, and even though I played SWTOR for a few months, that wasn't really a commitment. I'm not sure I can do the MMO thing anymore if it involves any kind of regular scheduling.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what I'm hearing here sounds hella cool.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I killed Itera.... That was one of my fondest memories.
E-RoCk
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I've thought about restarting it. The last year or two I only played because of beb though. The game itself is super slow/boring and for the same reasons kiki pointed out end game is draining.

There has to be a better game to pick to play than this one. Maybe I'm just not cut out for MMOs anymore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060211/sc_space/mindcontrolbyparasites
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-RoCk wrote:

There has to be a better game to pick to play than this one. Maybe I'm just not cut out for MMOs anymore.

Well there is that one game....

If there was a real ClanBEB, I might be tempted to go back to it and give it a real shot. Actually, I would be more interested in playing that game than XI.
E-RoCk
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, maybe. I haven't checked up on it in awhile. It just seemed like they pushed out the release way too early is all.

Wait we're talking about XIV right?!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060211/sc_space/mindcontrolbyparasites

Last edited by E-RoCk on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think so.

It is definitely in a lot better shape than the game at launch. It was a lot better when I left, but a lot more has happened since then (jobs, semi-auction house, new mounts, etc).

The game was fun, but felt lonely. If there were enough BEB members, I would be up for giving it another shot. Trow was talking about coming back at some point, not sure if he would still be interested.

I still have a hard time imagining people like Yobun, Lotan, Midget and the group all buying in (some of them swore off MMOs). But if somehow the group did I could be convinced to play again.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering XIV when it comes back out. ... Polearm classes any good? >.>
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eisen wrote:
I'm considering XIV when it comes back out. ... Polearm classes any good? >.>

Lancer/Dragoon is really fun, though you don't get a pet wyvern. The AF is very cool looking as well. My picture doesn't do it justice.

Why wait for 2.0? Lots of stuff to do now, and some of it will not be available when 2.0 arrives (world-changing cataclysm incoming). Don't tell me you don't want a goobbue mount!

archer pic
bard pic
dragoon pic
goobbue mount

Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why wait for 2.0? Lots of stuff to do now, and some of it will not be available when 2.0 arrives (world-changing cataclysm incoming).

Few things:

1) My biggest issue with the game was the engine, which was awful. Since that still hasn't changed, I can't see myself enjoying it.

2) Doesn't everything you do before 2.0 mean nothing? Isn't it a full reset?

and lastly, 3) they're actually calling it the cataclysm? I feel like there should be some copyright issues there, haha
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have a hard time imagining people like Yobun, Lotan, Midget and the group all buying in

I'm 100% down for this. Hell I'd start now if we got a few people around to play.

Quote:
2) Doesn't everything you do before 2.0 mean nothing? Isn't it a full reset?

From everything I see it's just the world that is being rebooted, not the inhabitants.

This game is only $20 now? Any idea if that includes everything to date Kiki? That's the Amazon digital download price anyway.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryken wrote:
@Splinte - thanks for the rundown, it's certainly very tempting. I'm not sure I could dig up my character, though, and starting from scratch is most definitely a deal breaker. I'd be hesitant even without starting over. Sad

So I found my character info. Lucky for me I actually wrote it down, which was pretty unusual for me back then. Anyway, I re-installed on my pc and will probably poke my head around a little every now and again. I don't want to get sucked back in, though, so I'm not sure what I'll let myself get involved in up front.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is down and with what? Let's get a tally.

1) Would be up for either XI or XIV with enough BeB members, prefer XI.
2) Would be up for either XI or XIV with enough BeB members, prefer XIV.
3) Would be interested in XI, but not XIV
4) Would be interested in XIV, but not XI
5) More FF MMOs!?!? Screw that shit

I think I would choose 2, but not positive I would want to invest the time in such an old game, despite the memories of XI. Plus I think it would be more fun to start a game most of us have limited or no experience with (we'll all be on same missions, etc).
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more for something new. I'm goin w/ 4. I think it'd be a lil too difficult for me to get back into XI.... plus, I'd rather not be the backwards nazi.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eisen wrote:
I'm more for something new. I'm goin w/ 4. I think it'd be a lil too difficult for me to get back into XI.... plus, I'd rather not be the backwards nazi.

You'll always be the backwards nazi to me!

I'm down for anything so long as Charcole, Glistam, Yobun, Erock and Oadim all come back.

Mostly kidding... I think I'm done with MMOs for now. My free time is about nil. If there was some MMO I could play for like 1-2 hours a week and still feel like I wasn't missing everything, I might. As it is, I think that's impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin at xiv for $10 on Amazon. hmmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: