The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamepro Magazine wrote:
As for the Wii version of Twilight Princess, Nintendo's demos at E3 actually revealed much about the functionality of the Nunchuk controller. The shield block and strike mechanic will be very cool. You actually raise the Nunchuk in your left hand to make your onscreen shield raise to block and literally swing the remote with your right hand to slash with your sword.

To work your bow and arrow, you literally draw back the remote like you would a bowstring and then release your arrow by pressing the trigger. The sound of the arrow flying from the bow to target comes across as an audio effect from a tiny mic housed in the Wii remote.

Other Wii functions revealed so far involve the Wii remote. These include flinging Link's boomerang by flicking the handheld unit, and guiding a tiny fairy, Navi, to act as an onscreen living cursor by pointing it at the TV screen.

VERY cool; I'm really excited about this game, and I love the Wii more and more as I hear about all the cool things you can do with it. The only thing that I find a bit inaccurate with this system is that Link has always been a lefty, and due to the setup of the controller, you'll be "wielding" your sword in your right hand, while your on-screen self (Link) is doing the opposite.

In any case, I doubt I'll get this title for the GameCube now; definitely sounds like grabbing a Wii for that version is going to be way worth it.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link is right handed in the wii version, which is odd. They did it for the very reason you mentioned. I'm not 100% sure about the GC version. I believe I read two different things.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:
Link is right handed in the wii version, which is odd. They did it for the very reason you mentioned. I'm not 100% sure about the GC version. I believe I read two different things.

Lotan

At least that'll make more sense with the synchronization of your actions and his; but it certainly takes a bit away from the franchise in my eye. I know it seems silly, but his left-handedness is just as much a trademark as his tunic, or his cap.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make a lefty and righty version =P
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
Lotan wrote:

Lotan

At least that'll make more sense with the synchronization of your actions and his; but it certainly takes a bit away from the franchise in my eye. I know it seems silly, but his left-handedness is just as much a trademark as his tunic, or his cap.

Agreed. I guess you gotta break em on something though.

It almost seems un-necessary to me. If what I've read is correct its not a 1 to 1 motion. Like you moving your hand doesn't move the sword in the exact same way. Making a violent slashing motion just makes him slash, he doesn't mimic you.

I thought they said they flipped the entire world to compensate for this, which I find odd. Seems like a lot of work. Maybe that part was a joke or something I missed out on.

I'm also surprised they won't have a left/right option. Miyamoto himself is left handed, which may be why Link is. Being the nerd that I am, I'd probably play it left handed Very Happy

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is still left handed in the GC version
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope there is an option on that. i'm not sure i could play him right handed. not that i've ever noticed before which hand he used, but because i'm a lefty, and it would be a pain to have every thing backwards.
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know...

I'm not sure I want to be flailing my arms around just to play a game. Is it going to be a requirment for me to swing the contoller or drawing it back against my ear to play the game. Or can I just push a button? If there's actual physical involvement, I'd rather just go outside.

I debated with myself about this for awhile. While I appreciate the ingenuity that Nintendo came up with and the emersion that they're trying achieve, I can only take so much realism, before I have to go outside and actually experience reality. I don't want a simulated bow to shoot simulated arrows from. I'll go and shoot a real bow. It's not that difficult. I'd rather go and practice aikido or fencing or some other sport than pretend to play with a sword. I've shot pistols and rifles. Pulling the trigger on the wiimote to simulate a gun is not the same experience. And while I've fortunate enough to never have fired and another person, I really don't want that simulated too closley.

Bah, I've gone off on another rant again...
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immyls wrote:
i hope there is an option on that. i'm not sure i could play him right handed. not that i've ever noticed before which hand he used, but because i'm a lefty, and it would be a pain to have every thing backwards.

My understanding at last reading was that it was not an option. I really can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

People were discussing the fact that strategy guides are going to be weird since the two versions will be completely opposite. Even discussing the game will be hard. "Yeah, kill that skeleton guy, grab that key, and go left... unless you're on the GC version then go right"

MrNix wrote:
I'm not sure I want to be flailing my arms around just to play a game. Is it going to be a requirment for me to swing the contoller or drawing it back against my ear to play the game. Or can I just push a button? If there's actual physical involvement, I'd rather just go outside.

You can always get the cube version for button pushing. Most people who have played it say that it's not tiring. It's my belief that every video that you see of the wii is grossly exaggerated as far as the amount of physical movement involved. For example I doubt you'll have to pull the thing up to your ear everytime you fire an arrow. I guess we'll see though.

Lotan
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... anyone else playing this?

Here's a mini-review although I'm not far in:

Reminds me A LOT of Ocarina when I played that. The world seems very similar. It stirs a lot of the same feelings.

The controls for the Wii are pretty spot on. For me at least, it was pick up and play. Maybe for about 10 minutes I had to actually think about what I was doing here and there, but no more than that. As far as the flailing and tiring issue, it's really not something to worry about, motion is only used for the sword, and you really don't spend that much time killing things in Zelda.

As for the game itself, it starts slow, but as its picked up, it's just been awesome. I just had one of my favorite all time moments in a game...

******* Minor Spoilers *********
The cinematics and how this happens are just plain awesome, but what it amounts to is a horseback chase across Hyrule field chasing a monster that has captured a little boy. He blows a horn and soon you have about 5 enemies chasing you as you chase him. They're shooting flaming arrows at you as you're trying to catch up and kill the main guy.

Eventually you take him down and he limps towards a giant stone bridge. As you give chase, a couple of guys pop up and set a fire on each end of the bridge so you can't get out. By this time he's reached the other end, turns around, kicks his "steed", and heads right for you. You give Epona the nudge, and from there it's a good ol joust.

So far that was the most surprising and awesome moment in the game.

Lotan
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I played this the day after release. I kept pushing A to use the sword. The sword controls are decent to me. I never actually move like I'm swinging the sword. I just kinda wiggle the controller.

*spoilers*
Most fun I've had so far is taking down the goats and my cousin and I making fun of that monkey that looked like he got it kinda rough, if ya know what I mean, in the Forest Temple. I hate having to look for those damn bugs to turn the world back to normal, though.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my second bug run. That one was better than the first as it was more puzzle based. Which one are you on?

Lotan
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jus did the 2nd one then quit cause we had some friends over and I really wanted to play golf with em. Probably the most fun we've had with the Wii is making people on Mii. We did my friend, Matt East, and it is SPOT ON. We all laugh everytime we see it. It's jus so perfect.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gotten to the part where Princess Zelda dies yet?
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or how about the part where Link dies and Mario takes over the quest?
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but we found a hot coffee mod with Wolf Link and Zelda.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the middle of the second tear hunt right now. i like it so far, and i agree about the similarity between it and ocoreana of time. in fact, i would go so far as to postulate that it is the same world. hyrule field is the same shape, and the mountain town is named the same thing, and there are enough similarities to make me think that it is the same world, with enough time between the two to make the geography change a bit.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, Twilight Princess is suppose to take place 100 years after OoT.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense.

Lotan
Trow
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my Wii and this game, very impressed so far, when i can wrestle it away from my wife Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: