The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stories from Africa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's Adventure: Locate and use an ATM in a 2nd world country.

If my bank account is mysteriously empty tomorrow, I'll have a pretty good idea as to how and why.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was kind of awesome seeing my ATM receipt in Uganda that showed I had over 6 million in my account balance. I think the exchange rate was about 2000:1 at that point for the Ugandan shilling.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the ATMs at the major island bank and the Hilton. Both were out of money. Apparently this is a fairly common occurance when you only have 2 or 3 ATMs on the entire island.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I'm attempting to expose the nationals in the office to the American cultural feature that is ironically listening to bad 80's music. My method of exposure is blunt force trama. I'm not 100% that it is going to work as intended.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was misinformed, the volcanoes here on Bioko are actually active.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameroon_Line
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Lava surfing!
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, when they were building their new road along the coast a year or two back, they managed to dig into an active magma channel and had to hult construction for a bit.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the US Embassy entrance last night, it's next door to a bar called Pub Propaganda.

I couldn't make this shit up.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered an avacado tree on the compound grounds last night and a cashew-apple tree this morning while running. I currently have two avacado's ripening on my kitchen counter and am researching how to conquer the cashew-apple.

Also, I've spotted two coconuts on the compound grounds that I'm fairly certain are going to be ready for harvesting soon.

Edit: I probably won't be eatiing the cashe itself any time soon. I'm planning on trying the false-fruit portion of it though.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other, less enjoyable, first took place the other day too. I received my first notable bug bite. It hurt like hell and the creature that did it appeared to be some hellish cross between a fire ant and a wasp, with the requisite parts to bite and/or sting you - depending on its particular mood at the moment.

On the plus side, I'm still alive and it is very much dead.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it one of these?

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. We do have these bastards over here though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister_beetle

Thankfully, I've been lucky enough to not run into any yet.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another first - pretty sure I got pee'ed on by a fruit bat tonight. (which could either be a first in Africa or a Gay Club, now that I read it... it was a first in Africa)
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days till I'm out of here and heading to Spain for 6 nights!

Also, had my first experience of telling my team, "No, you can't cut out early. We still have plenty of work to do." so that was interesting.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel I'm staying at in Madrid from March 2nd to the 5th! http://www.melia.com//hotels/spain/madrid/tryp-madrid-ambassador-hotel/index.html

Unfortunately I feel as though my attempts at using CS for Madrid are falling through. I currently have some one set up for my frist night in town but I haven't heard from her in about 2 weeks and I have a feeling I'll be using a hotel that night too.

On the plus side, 3 days from now, I'll be sitting in a cafe in Spain drinking cafe con leche and eating Spanish pastries for breakfast!
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
On the plus side, 3 days from now, I'll be sitting in a cafe in Spain drinking cafe con leche and eating Spanish pastries for breakfast!

You have your priorities in order. I approve. I'll be doing my third trip to mainland Colombia with my lady friend in August. If you ever get the chance, go. The coffee is pretty darn good.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Compound Sweet Compound.

Also, it turns out that Spain being filled with awesomness wasn't just a dream I had while on the Carrier. It really is a very kick ass place!

I met very cool people, had amazing food, saw incredible museums, and conquered a castle while I was there!

Side note: I'm now King of Alicante, at least I'm pretty sure I am. I did, after all, stand on top of the Castle above the rest of the city and announced to them that their rightful ruller had arrived. Based on no one rising to challenge my position, I'm pretty sure that I'm now King. Cool
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View from my hotel room in Alicante:

Looking down on my loyal subjects:

My chief adviser:

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently I'm susceptible to the "vivid dreams" side effect of the new malaria medication I'm taking. I actually checked my phone when I woke up because I wasn't 100% sure I hadn't been hanging out with Christopher Walken and the Pope.

Side note, I still haven't decided if reading articles on The Onion about Christopher Walken and the Pope before bed was a good or bad choice.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other note: I'm going to the U.S. Embassy for dinner tonight! Woot! I'm one step closer to becoming an international diplomat and being able to use the phrase "Diplomatic Immunity!" at completely inappropriate moments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: