The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stories from Africa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The night at the embassy went great! Very, very interesting and met some great people. I also had a very interesting conversation with a member of the German consulate that was there, which I'll post about once I'm back on a personal network in the U.S.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another first in Equatorial Guinea, had someone on the maid staff basically give up her job over a ruined t-shirt.

She attempted to iron one of my Adidas climacool tshirts with the iron set way too high and ended up burning a hole through the shirt. Apparently, instead of taking the perfectly sensible action of admitting what she did and dealing with maybe getting yelled at, she decided to to take a different route. She hid the evidence and then called in sick, for the rest of the week, claiming to be in the hospital!

It took me going up to their office, and inquiring as to the tshirt missing, for all of this to even become known. I'm curious as to what in her personnal experience made her so fearful of the consequences that she decided to go such an extreme route of avoidance?
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say, these are awesome stories and photos! Keep 'em comin'!

How do you know you were NOT hanging with two of the most psychologically powerful men on the planet??

Did she actually lose her job?
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, khimaira, maybe it wasn't a drug induced hallucination!

As for the maid, I don't believe so and I certainly hope not. I'm actually not 100% sure which maid did the damage. Two reasons for that - it seems that they tend to rotate between houses a bit and they do the vast majority of their work while I'm in the office.

I do know that the one who was their yesterday acted very "sheepish" when she was leaving, so I have a feeling that it may have been her and the poor woman is still waiting for me to (insert whatever reaction she thought I would have) over my damaged shirt.

I'm not sure what type of tramatic experience, or long term cultural influence, it takes to illicit a response such as hers for something as simple as this, but it definitely makes me feel sorry for her.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can get the itinerary I want approved for my next trip to Equatorial Guinea, I'll be spending one night in Dublin on the way here!
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't get a lot of beautiful days here in Malabo but today is certainly one of them. Definitely wishing I had a "sick day" I could use to get out of this office for today.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official, I'm spending a night in Dublin on my way back to Africa!
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
It's official, I'm spending a night in Dublin on my way back to Africa!

I wish I could be there! I fucking love Irish taverns!!!

Instead, I'll be spending the next month in Salem, NJ.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard they installed these in all the bars in Ireland, Khimaira. Sorry, but you would have to wait outside, your kind isn't welcome there.

khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just filet one of your humans and become a cybernetic orgasm.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khimaira wrote:
I'll just filet one of your humans and become a cybernetic orgasm.

I do not think this means what you think it means.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fillet (not filet):
Verb
fillet (third-person singular simple present fillets, present participle filleting, simple past and past participle filleted)
(transitive) To slice, bone or make into fillets.
(transitive) To apply, create, or specify a rounded or filled corner to.
Synonyms
(make into fillets): bone, debone

Stupid robot.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot imagine the joy it brings me that, after all these years, we can still come together to poke fun at Khim. Well-played, Brigade, well-played.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He *IS*, after all, a freak.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than a month from Valhalla! http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Index.aspx
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less than 12 hours from leaving the compound to get on a flight back to the states! Dancing
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in Equatorial Guinea again after a short trip stateside and one night in Dublin, Ireland.

Not that it should be at all surprising to anyone but Dublin was AWESOME! I uploaded quite a few pics to facebook while there. I would definitely say that, of all the European cities I've visited this year, Dublin is by far the most laid back, relaxing, and just plain fun experience I have had so far.

While it may not have some of the more renown tourist attractions that can be found in London, Paris, and Madrid, it more than makes up for it with great people and a relaxing atmospher.

My day basically consisted of an Irish Breakfast at a local pub by my hotel, a tour of the Guinness Storeroom (with a free Pint in the Gravity Bar over looking Dublin), a tour of the Old Jamison Distillery (where I was certified as an official whiskey taste tester complete with certificate), dinner with a cute girl from Sweden who lives in Dublin now, and bar hopping into the early morning with a few Irish, a couple from France, and a fellow American.

All-in-all, a pretty amazing last day before returning to work here in Africa!

Last edited by Trassin on Fri May 10, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such thing as a non-cute girl from Sweden? It certainly didn't appear to be the case on the two occasions I was able to visit.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
While it may not have some of the more renown tourist attractions that can be found in London, Paris, and Madrid, it more than makes up for it with great people and a relaxing atmospher.

I haven't done as much traveling as you, but I have always found that this is the rule, not the exception. Seeing famous landmarks can be amazing, but the people make the place.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: