The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defiance on SciFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Defiance on SciFi Reply with quote

Anyone else watch the premier? Thoughts questions concerns? I'm not a big tv fan overall but a friend mentioned this so I figured I'd watch the premier at least.

Overall I was a bit unsure on whether I liked it enough to continue watching. I think what clinched it and made me want to see the next episode was the clip at the end with the old mayor. I think that's spoiler friendly enough.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about checking it out, but I don't play the game, so not sure how much I'd like it.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, you don't need to play the game. The show is stand-alone enough, I believe, that you won't miss much by not being a game player... otherwise you'll isolate alot of your audience.

I was kind of shocked (in a good way) with the sex scene! Way more racy than anything else I've seen on cable.

I liked it overall, but there seemed to be some forced acting in there and some cliche' bits, but it's the pilot and I'm not sure I should really expect much less.

I would really love more of the history, so I guess I should find a wiki and start reading.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the game, but won't watch the show. I was pretty disappointed with the game, TBH.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seen gameplay videos on Youtube and they were all kind of meh. Nothing horrible but also nothing great or innovative from what they all said. The show is completely stand alone and I doubt I'll bother with the game at all. I would like to see the lore and the story play out some.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the show supposed to be stand alone now? I thought I had read something that what players did in the game (likely what faction controls what) was supposed to influence the show.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that, but I know they are very connected, and you will see characters from the show in the game and vice versa as time goes on. They are a connected experience so I figured trying to enjoy one without the other wouldn't be worthwhile.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other way around. The game is supposed to follow the show.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read earlier today, the game follows the show for the first season. If it picks up enough interest to warrant a second season they plan on using events from the game while writing out the plot for Season 2.

My brother picked the game up for his xbox360 today and I was watching him play for a few hours. There is actually alot of stuff there that I'm interested in seeing play out. The skill system is somewhat reminiscent of the sphere grid from Final Fantasy X. You pick your initial base power and then as you level you spend points on the skills around it, spreading out and unlocking the next set of skill nodes beyond that. There was some bit of Call of Duty in there, with being able to switch out which skill perks you had equipped, leveling up different weapon skills, and so forth. There is a micro transaction store but I don't know yet what items are in it. Overall I tend to dislike micro transactions, but I've seen a few games that did it well. You have the ability to mod your weapons to some extent. Salvaging items you don't want generates resources that you can use to research new mod slots for your existing weapons. I think one of the most interesting things to watch about it is going to see how it impacts the console community. It may be a bit rough if you are a PC MMO player, but there haven't been many examples of open world, MMO games on console systems. Having a cross platform game on PC, PS3, 360 I think might actually attract quite a few people.

I think the way my brother described it was Halo meets Borderlands meets Fallout3.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the Shadowrun debacle. Cross platform really damaged that game. Maybe the tech is better now and they figured out how to avoid that issue.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is free on Steam for the next day or so if anyone wants to try it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: