The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oklahoma Tornado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Oklahoma Tornado Reply with quote

I think Mongolio lives in the OKC area. Anyone hear from him?

These Senator are in a real "Pickle".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/oklahoma-senators-disaster-relief_n_3309234.html?icid=hp_front_top_art

" residents who lost homes and businesses would turn to the federal government for emergency disaster aid. That could put the state's two Republican senators in an awkward position.

Sens. Jim Inhofe and Tom Coburn, both Republicans, are fiscal hawks who have repeatedly voted against funding disaster aid for other parts of the country. They also have opposed increased funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which administers federal disaster relief.

Late last year, Inhofe and Coburn both backed a plan to slash disaster relief to victims of Hurricane Sandy. In a December press release, Coburn complained that the Sandy Relief bill contained "wasteful spending," and identified a series of items he objected to, including "$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies."

Coburn spokesman John Hart on Monday evening confirmed that the senator will seek to ensure that any additional funding for tornado disaster relief in Oklahoma be offset by cuts to federal spending elsewhere in the budget. "That's always been his position [to offset disaster aid]," Hart said. "He supported offsets to the bill funding the OKC bombing recovery effort." Those offsets were achieved in 1995 by tapping federal funds that had not yet been appropriated.

In 2011, both senators opposed legislation that would have granted necessary funding for FEMA when the agency was set to run out of money. Sending the funds to FEMA would have been "unconscionable," Coburn said at the time. "
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine and safe. Sunday evening tornadoes all missed me by 15 miles or so. Yesterday's tornado (the BIG one) passed about 3 miles south of my house. My work and home are without power from the grid right now. They just got our generators online at the office. I was just told that a friend of my wife's is driving 2 hours to get a generator to our house as well. Freakin awesome!

Yesterday's tornado was a bad one. Lots of people lost their lives, including about 2 dozen children. A school (Plaza Towers) got hit directly. Some of the kids were in a basement shelter. Their escape got blocked off and it filled with water, drowning them. Sad

They keep comparing this tornado to the one we had on May 3, 1999. Both were about the same size (EF-5), but this one went straight through a lot of residential areas, unlike the previous one. Recovery from this one is going to take years...
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of the kids were in a basement shelter. Their escape got blocked off and it filled with water, drowning them.

That's horrific...
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the flooding was caused by ruptured pipes, not actual rain. Its actually fairly rare for it to rain in the same area as a tornado. The tornado normally forms off the side of the thunderstorm, while still connected at the back.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friggin Moore. Lived there the first year my wife and I got married. That city gets hit by every tornado. I can't believe it hit there again and that bad. Things are fine in my part of Oklahoma (Tulsa), but it was a little scary. My wife and I were on vacation in Mexico hearing about the storms while our boys were back home.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize you lived in Tulsa, Vawn. I've lived in the OKC area since terminal leave in early February 2003. I saw the May 8th 2003 tornado from about half a mile away. Scary stuff.

Anyways, my parting thought: Tulsa spelled backwards is...... A slut!
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from here. Just moved back last year after living 7 years in miserable Dallas, Texas. I was in Norman going to school during that tornado, so I remember it. Nothing compares to the 1999 one that went from Moore to OKC all the way to Tulsa, completely leveling Stroud on the way.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better watch out Mongolio. If Pat Robertson finds out about your slutty ways, he's sure to proclaim the tornado to be a sign of God's judgement against you.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe WBC could come picket me, too!
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: