The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man of Steel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Man of Steel Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not much of a Superman fan, but I'm officially excited now: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/man-of-steel-trailer-zod-demands-supermans-surrender-video/
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never really liked Sup all that much. Batman was pretty much the only DC character I was enjoyed (although I did enjoy Smallville). Seeing this trailer before Ironman 3 made me pretty excited though.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Supe does fall flat as a character, but this movie looks like it might be decent.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason he is generally disliked by our generation is because we grew up with the anti-hero. Superman is the goody two shoes people don't care for anymore. Though I loved Superman... just didn't care for DC, therefor never read the comics.

Movie looks supremely entertaining and would be nice to see him come back into the spotlight.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been showing the 1970's/1980's Superman movies here on the compound lately. I had forgotten just how horrible the dialog in Superman II is.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been super interested in Superman. Smallville was neat cause it was about Clark Kent. I'm just not very interested in this film. I think it'll look real pretty, but beyond that won't be much to talk about.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, my issue isn't that he is a goody two shoes. It is that he has no compelling reason to be a goody two shoes. If there were some reason for that, it would be fine...
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you feel that good guys should have a compelling reason for being a good guy instead of just that it's the right thing to do... for him/her at least? I can't imagine any hero really having a compelling reason to be a good guy then.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman and Spider-Man have their reasons.

As far as Superman goes, I don't like him for the most part. He's suppose to be this nearly unstoppable hero and his weakness is a very rare rock from another planet that somehow EVERYONE has access to in DC. I will say though that I have high hopes for this movie and I'm pretty excited. As far as my opinion goes, Iron Man and Gatsby can't compare to Star Trek so this is the only contender left.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think Batman is a "goody two shoes"? As for Spidey... what are his reasons for being a good guy? It's not his uncle dying, that started him on the path of vengeance. He's good because he wants to be. At least that's how I see it.

But agreed that I can't wait for Man of Steel to come out. Looks awesome.

Quote:

Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see you were referring to "goody two shoes" when you said "good guy". His uncle dying is Spidey's reason for being a good guy. He felt responsible for the death of his uncle by letting a bad guy he could have stopped get away. He's a good guy because he knows it's his responsibility to be. Supez is just... a douche.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make a pretty big distinction between a good guy and a goody two shoes.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should also be a clear distinction between "Good guy" and "Vigilante crime fighter". I think Mojo's point is that Spidey and Batman are inherently good people. That combined with personal tragedy, caused caused by criminals, has led them to fight crime. That makes them compelling characters. Superman is like that guy who stops his car to avoid hitting a squirrel. He's good, he has all the powers, and that makes him rather boring.

I'll still see this movie.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!

I was always bothered by the idea that Superman had this "invisible field" around him that protected his clothing from most damage. Really, based on the villans that the guy fights most of the time, he should be the strongest nudist on earth.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily my favorite Superman and Superman movie. This guy wasn't a complete douche and it actually felt like how a Superman story should feel. I don't think it's better than Star Trek at all, though. I'm not sure if anyone else in the theater noticed the LexCorp logo toward the end since I was the only one snickering to myself.

Also, I think Superman and Zod probably killed more people during their fight than the machine.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the actor that played Zod, but I'm not sure about him as Zod. Maybe it's just my affinity for Terence Stamp. Not that the previews are anything to judge by, but it seemed that Zod was more a loudmouth megalomaniac this time around rather than an intelligent, calculating megalomaniac. I'm reserving judgment, considering I was so very wrong about Urban as Dredd. What did you think of his performance?
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the character was mainly "Threat threat threat bloody threat threat threat and then I'll threat threat threat!"
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to watch it on Sunday with a handful of friends from my Latin class.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'll give it a "meh"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: